Express & Star

Pensioner has lucky escape after cigarette bed fire

A pensioner has had a lucky escape after a fire broke out in her bed.

Last updated
The scene after the fire.

The 74-year-old woman, from Jenner Road in Walsall, had to be rescued by fire crews after smoking in bed.

Five firefighters from Bloxwich Fire Station attended the scene at 3.54am on Sunday and put out the small fire.

They left the house at 5am.

The fire was partially prevented by fireproof bedding and a mat which was supplied to the woman by firefighters back in June 2016.

Tweeting about the incident @bloxwichfire said: "74 year old woman rescued by Red Watch after a smoking in bed fire.

"Following a Safe and Well visit back in June 2016, fireproof bedding and mat were supplied.

"This along with a smoke alarms and a 5 minute attendance time attributed to saving her life."