Express & Star

Hero neighbour wakes up families as fire engulfs roof in Wednesbury

A hero neighbour woke up two families when an overheated phone charger set fire to a shared roof in the early hours of the morning.

The house fire on Carisbrooke Road, Friar Park, was caused by a phone charger which overheated.

Antony Roden lives on Carisbrooke Road in Friar Park, Wednesbury, and is a self-proclaimed light sleeper.

The 61-year-old had gone downstairs to make himself a cup of tea and a slice of toast at around 5.15am on Thursday.

When he opened the window for some fresh air, he could smell smoke, and wondered what was happening.

Antony said: "I've been a light sleeper for years. I do suffer with my back and I can't switch off.