Express & Star

Man killed as van and lorry crash on busy M6 stretch

A man has died following a serious collision on the M6 which brought one of the busiest sections of motorway in the country to a standstill.

Last updated
Photo: Central Motorway Police Group

The man in his 40s, a van driver, was involved in a collision on the northbound carriageway between junction 10 and 10a, which saw his van collide with the back of a lorry around 11.46am on Sunday, January 9.

Emergency crews closed the motorway after arriving at the scene, but found there was nothing that could be done to save the man's life and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The M6 northbound remained closed between junctions 10 and 10a as investigators from West Midlands Police examined the area.

Traffic was congested for several miles and drivers were advised to leave extra time for journeys today.

A spokeswoman for West Midlands Police said: "We can confirm that a man in his 40s sadly died in a collision on the M6 earlier today (9 January).

"Officers were called to reports a van had collided with the back of a lorry near junction 10 just after 10.45am.

"Sadly, nothing could be done to save his life and he was pronounced dead at the scene. Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.

"We’re working to establish the full circumstances of the collision and the road remains closed between junction 10 and 10a northbound as our investigators examine the scene.

"We're keen to hear from anybody who was there at the time and may have information or dashcam footage to assist our investigation.

"If you can help please get in touch with us via live chat on our website or email Please quote log 1085 of 09/01/22."

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: “Crews arrived to find the driver of the van, a man, with serious injuries.

“Unfortunately, it quickly became apparent nothing could be done to save him, and he was confirmed dead at the scene.

“The lorry driver, a man, was assessed and discharged at the scene.”

Debris was being cleared six hours on and the road was open again by about 7pm.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.