Express & Star

Speeding motorist who killed university student is back behind bars after driving while banned

A speeding motorist who killed a university student and seriously injured her friend has been convicted of driving while disqualified following his release from jail.

Last updated
Sukvinder Mannan has been jailed

Sukvinder Mannan killed 21-year-old Rebecca McManus and left her friend, Harriet Barnsley, with life-changing injuries when his Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution smashed into a bus stop on Hagley Road West in Quinton, Birmingham, on May 31, 2014. He had swerved into a bus lane and ploughed the vehicle into 21-year-old childhood best friends Rebecca and Harriet as they waited for a bus to take them to a hen night.

Rebecca, from Oldbury, died at the scene. She had attended King Edward VI College in Stourbridge where she achieved four A Levels – two at A* and two at grade A – before enrolling with the University of East Anglia in Norwich for an English literature with creative writing degree course.

Harriet spent three months in a coma after the horrific crash, endured over 50 hours of life-saving operations and reconstructive surgery but lost the use of her left foot forever.

Mannan, now 42, who lived in Romsley near Halesowen at the time, had been racing another driver and reaching speeds of up to 100mph before losing control of the vehicle.

In December 2015, Mannan appeared before Wolverhampton Crown Court where he was jailed for eight years and banned from driving for 10 years. He had pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving and causing serious injury by dangerous driving. Mannan was however released in 2019 after serving half his sentence. On February 15 this year, Central Motorway Police Group officers followed Mannan as he drove a Mercedes on Rubery Lane, Rubery, after receiving information to suggest a disqualified driver was behind the wheel. Mannan’s car was pulled over by police when they spotted him driving through a red light.

He confirmed he was disqualified from driving until February 23, 2025. He was arrested and taken into custody. During a police interview, Mannan said he was using the vehicle to travel to work for a couple of months.

In addition to confirming he knew he was still disqualified, he also admitted to not having any insurance for the vehicle.

Mannan appeared before Birmingham Magistrates Court on February 16 where he was jailed for 12 weeks and banned from driving for a further 770 days, after pleading guilty to the offences of driving while disqualified, having no insurance and failing to comply with a red traffic light.

PC Jason Berry, investigating officer based with Central Motorway Policing Group, said: “Mannan showed total disregard for the order from the court which banned him from driving for 10 years. He now faces more time behind bars and I hope he uses this time to reflect on his actions.”

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.