Express & Star

Police and ambulance service issue major update after baby and young child among three hurt in Stourport crash

A man who was arrested after three people – including a baby and a young child – were injured in a Stourport crash has been released on bail.

Last updated
The road eventually re-opened at around 2.15pm following the crash

Emergency services rushed to the scene of the collision at the junction of the A451 Dunley Road and the B4196, at around 6.45am on Sunday.

It involved a silver Vauxhall Corsa and a black BMW.

A three-year child travelling in one of the cars was taken to Birmingham Children's Hospital after sustaining life-changing injuries.

A ten-month old baby and a man in his 40s were also taken to hospital.

A man in his 30s was arrested at the scene on suspicion of dangerous driving.

West Mercia Police confirmed on Monday morning that he had been released on bail whilst enquiries are ongoing.

Anyone who witnessed the collision and has information should call 101 and quote log 98i of Sunday, February 4.

West Midlands Ambulance Service added more information about the incident in a statement: "We were called at 6.35am to a road traffic collision involving two cars at the junction of the A451 and B4196 in Areley Kings, Stourport on Severn.

"Three ambulances, two paramedic officers and two Critical Care Cars from Midland Air Ambulance attended the scene.

"Upon arrival we found three patients from the first car," the statement continued.

"First, a child who was a passenger in the car who was assessed and was in a life threatening condition. She received advanced trauma care at the scene.

"A second child was assessed and had sustained injuries which were not believed to be life threatening.

"Both were conveyed to Birmingham Childrens Hospital under emergency blue light conditions for further treatment.

"A man who was the driver of the first car was assessed and had sustained serious injuries which were not life threatening.

"He received treatment at the scene before being conveyed to Worcester Royal Hospital.

"The driver of the second car was assessed and had sustained injuries not believed to be serious. He received self care advice before being discharged into the care of the police."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.