Express & Star

Wolves 1 Nottingham Forest 2 - match report

Last updated

Sorry Wolves were booed off as they made it eight games without a win after Adlene Guedioura returned to haunt his old club with a Molineux winner.

Sorry Wolves were booed off as they made it eight games without a win after Adlene Guedioura returned to haunt his old club with a Molineux winner.

Man of the match Bjorn Sigurdarson scored his first home goal in his first Molineux start to put Stale Solbakken's side ahead in the sixth minute.

But one-time Wolves target Billy Sharp (16) levelled before Guedioura smashed home from 25 yards in the 57th minute.

The Algeria international followed Bolton's Mark Davies as the latest former Wolves player to score against his old club at Molineux this season.

It was no more than Forest deserved as Wolves failed to create a single chance in an awful second half, the hosts fading away again in front of their own fans in similar fashion to the Bolton and Charlton games.

That's now six home matches out of nine where they have thrown away a lead, dropping 14 points in the process.

Solbakken has time on his side but knows his teams can't keep producing performances as poor as this if his long-term project is to succeed.

There were no signs of what was to follow after an entertaining first period when Sigurdarson saw a shot blocked by keeper Lee Camp.

But Forest wasted two glorious shooting chances around the half hour mark through Sharp and former Albion striker Simon Cox, who was carried off in the second half after an innocuous challenge by Kevin Foley.

As expected, Solbakken made just one change from the side beaten 2-1 at Watford last week, with Foley replacing Richard Stearman at right back. Stearman dropped to the bench.

Foley has been preferred recently in home games, while Stearman has played the position in away matches.

Kevin Doyle was named captain with skipper Karl Henry serving the second of his three-match ban.

Wolves made the better start, and after Doyle fired a bouncing volley straight at keeper Lee Camp, the home side took the lead.

Sigurdarson was the scorer, sweeping home a first-time shot from 15 yards after Jermaine Pennant's pass through the centre flicked off Simon Gillett.

It was the Icelandic striker's second goal for Wolves after his strike at Peterborough.

But Wolves were soon rocked out of their stride as Forest equalised with the next serious attack.

The home side appealed in vain for an offside flag which never came as Sharp latched onto Henri Lansbury's superb through ball and advanced forwards before finishing low past Carl Ikeme into the corner of the net.

The goal boosted Forest and led to an uncomfortable 10 or 15 minutes for Wolves, who struggled to rediscover their previous momentum.

Former Albion striker Simon Cox cut inside from the left and let fly with a skidding drive that flew a few feet wide before Lansbury swept just wide.

In an isolated attack, Bakary Sako chipped over the bar with his less favoured right foot at a time when Kevin Doyle, Dave Edwards and Sigurdarson were all well positioned in the box and primed for a pass.

But Forest returned to the attack and Wolves rode their luck as they were handed two let offs around the half-hour mark.

Sigurdarson was denied by Camp's legs after Christophe Berra returned a Sako corner with a cross as Wolves returned to the attack before the break.

But Forest still had their opportunities as Lansbury danced through two flimsy tackles before Ikeme blocked with his legs.

Lansbury was booked for chopping down Sako to provoke the fans' fury before half-time.

But if the supporters thought they were in for more in the second half, they were sadly mistaken.

Forest immediately pushed for a second goal as they settled better and Cox was denied by Ikeme with a fierce shot to the near post.

Worse was to follow as Forest broke up a Wolves attack and freed Guedioura, who got away from Edwards to lash home an unstoppable shot from 25 yards.

The only other chances were a rising drive from Sharp which was easily saved by Ikeme.

Sako wasted two free kicks from excellent positions and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and David Davis replaced the fading Pennant and Tongo Doumbia with 15 minutes left.

But the only on-target effort from Wolves was a weak header from Sigurdarson from Stephen Ward's cross in the third minute of time added on as Wolves produced another second-half fade-out like they did against Bolton and Charlton.