Express & Star

Wolves 2 Manchester United 1

Last updated

Super Wolves sent Molineux into ecstacy as they did it again against the big boys to end Manchester United's hopes of a club record 30-game unbeaten run.


Super Wolves sent Molineux into ecstacy as they did it again against the big boys to end Manchester United's hopes of a club record 30-game unbeaten run.

Mick McCarthy's never-say-die battlers hit back from Nani's third minute opener to end a run of four successive defeats, with George Elokobi's first league goal for Wolves in the 10th minute and one from Kevin Doyle five minutes before the break.

It was a well-deserved win for Wolves too, as they repeated their successes against Liverpool, Manchester City and Chelsea.

But they remain two points from safety after a win for Wigan earlier in the day.

McCarthy made two changes from the side beaten 1-0 at Bolton on Wednesday – and both were in midfield.

Jamie O'Hara, who made his Wolves debut as a late substitute at the Reebok Stadium, and Nenad Milijas replaced David Edwards and David Jones, who failed to make the 18 against his old club.

United had problems before the game, after Rio Ferdinand was injured in the warm-up and Jonny Evans came in.

Ronald Zubar, who kept his place after his blunder led to Daniel Sturridge's winner for Bolton, was given a rapturous reception from a sold-out Molineux rocking to the rafters.

Both new starters were involved in a frantic start as Wolves had the game's opening chance in the first minute, Milijas lifting the ball well over after O'Hara's shot had been blocked.

But United showed them how it's done when they scored with their first attack in the third minute.

Nani curled a left foot shot at goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey's near post, after teasing Elokobi following a ball over the top that caught Wolves napping.

It was almost 2-0 when Wayne Rooney attempted to lob Hennessey but luckily for Wolves, his shot didn't carry the height to trouble the Wales international after Dimitar Berbatov's flick left him in the clear.

Nani fired another curling effort, but this time it flew straight at Hennessey before Wolves hit back in devastating fashion in the 10th minute.

And it was Elokobi, who scored his first goal for Wolves in the Carling Cup in the 3-2 defeat at Old Trafford in October, who equalised with his first League strike for the club - a towering header from Adam Hammill's cross after Matt Jarvis' quickly-taken corner.

United predictably had the better of the play as the half went on, Berbatov twice going close before the mid-point of the first period with a poor shot at Hennessey then a looping header that ended on top of the net.

But the ever-dangerous Nani was much closer in the 29th minute, flashing a superb free kick inches over the angle from 25 yards.

However, Wolves continued to have plenty of the play and O'Hara drilled a drive againstgoalkeeper Edwin Van Der Sar's legs in the 31st minute.

Six minutes later, Milijas' swerving free kick hit the wall but just landed the wrong side of the post.

But Wolves fans didn't have to long to wait to celebrate after they took the lead five minutes before half-time.

Elokobi again produced a superb header from Milijas' free kick, but Kevin Doyle will try to claim it after the ball came off his cheek for what would be only the striker's third goal of the season.

The action continued to flow from end-to-end and Nani should have scored after being presented with a free header which flew over from Rafael's cross.

United replaced Michael Carrick with Paul Scholes at the break, and, after a slower start to the second half, Wolves had an excellent chance to make it 3-1.

O'Hara's sidefooted effort was cleared by Nemanja Vidic with Van Der Sar at full stretch, after Doyle held Christophe Berra's clearance up for Matt Jarvis on the overlap to cross.

Scholes, who scored the only goal in the corresponding clash last season, missed the chance to equalise when his sliding attempt flew a couple of yards wide from Rafael's centre.

O'Hara's chance proved to be his last piece of the action, as the Tottenham loan signing was replaced in the 59th minute by Kevin Foley.

Wolves made another substitution six minutes later when Stephen Ward came on for Hammill, as McCarthy opted for fresh legs down the flanks.

United found it increasingly difficult to break Wolves down, as the home side dropped deeper to try to protect their lead.

And the determination of McCarthy's battlers was emphasised when Doyle raced into a 50-50 tackle on Nani.

A goalmouth scramble on 84 minutes saw Wolves clear their lines at the expense of a corner and United's desperation was summed up a minute later, when Scholes was booked for deliberate handball after trying to punch the ball in the net.

As United got more frustrated, Giggs got away with an off-the-ball kick on Doyle which floored the striker at a Wolves set piece.

The irrepressible Doyle then got an elbow in the face from substitute Chris Smalling as they chased a long clearance, an offence which went unpunished and which left the Irishman dazed and grounded for several moments.