Express & Star

Man rescued from flat fire in Stourbridge high-rise block

A man has been taken to hospital with serious injuries after being rescued from a fire at a flat in Stourbridge.

Last updated

Watch more of our videos on Shots!
and live on Freeview channel 276

Fire crews rushed to the blaze at a high-rise building in Green Street at around 12.40pm on Thursday.

Five fire engines and two 4×4 brigade response vehicles were in attendance as crews worked to tackle the flames.

The fire broke out at a high-rise building in Stourbridge on Thursday afternoon

A man was rescued from the fire, which broke out on the fourth floor of the tower block, and taken to hospital.

A spokesperson for West Midlands Ambulance Service said: "We were called to reports of a property fire on Green Street at 12.50pm. One ambulance, a paramedic officer, a MERIT trauma doctor with a Critical Care Paramedic and the Trust’s Hazardous Area Response Team attended the scene.

"On arrival we discovered one patient, a man, who had suffered serious injuries. He received specialist trauma care at the scene before being taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham."

A resident of a nearby flat was also brought to safety by firefighters and suffered no injures.

Police and paramedics joined firefighters at the scene of the blaze, which was extinguished as of 1.36pm.

Police were also in attendance at the scene

One resident on the street spoke of their relief that those involved had been brought to safety.

They said: "I'm surprised about a fire happening as a tower block is a bad place for a fire.

"The fire service seem to have done a good job and it's a relief to know that everyone got out."

A man was rescued from the property by fire crews

Another person spoke of seeing fire engines gather outside the block of flats.

They said: "I was surprised to find out that there's been a fire in the tower block, but I'm pleased to hear that no one's been seriously hurt."

Fire chiefs confirmed at about 2.40pm that the incident had been scaled down, with remaining crews at the scene checking for smoke logging in neighbouring properties.