Advertising

Wolverhampton gunman returns to court for appeal

Wolverhampton | News | Published:

A gunman serving an indefinite jail sentence for opening fire during one of the Black Country's most notorious shootings was back in court today in a bid to clear his name.

A gunman serving an indefinite jail sentence for opening fire during one of the Black Country's most notorious shootings was back in court today in a bid to clear his name.

Gary Williams, now aged 30, was caught on CCTV shooting at rival gang members in Temple Street, Wolverhampton, close to the former Netto store, in broad daylight.

Williams is believed to be challenging the conviction on the basis that new evidence has come forward.

Lawyers who prosecuted the original case, along with police who investigated the case, have travelled down to London for today's hearing at the Court of Appeal.

Williams was ordered to serve at least seven years in 2007 after being convicted of firearms and violence offences. The gunman, who has a history of violence and goes by the street name G-Bo, was driving through the city centre when he spotted rival Isaac Frazer, then 24, of Bushbury Lane, at around 4pm.

He sped round a corner, jumped out of his car and raced down a pathway near the Wulfrun Centre to confront him.

Williams, of Anson Road, Willenhall, pulled out a handgun and fired at his target. But the gun malfunctioned, exploding and sending shrapnel into Williams' face.

Williams scuffled with Frazer before both men fled. In the fracas, Williams managed to grab the gun, flee, and dump it in a nearby drain.

Advertising

Frazer was said to have phoned "re-enforcements" . As Williams, who had lost his keys during the scuffle 20 minutes earlier, tried to push his Toyota Corolla from where he dumped it in Temple Street, Frazer and his gang arrived.

CCTV showed Frazer pulling out a gun and firing at Williams, who was hiding behind his car. A scuffle then broke out and Williams stabbed one of Frazer's gang.

Mr Peter Cooke, who prosecuted the trial, told Wolverhampton Crown Court how the gangs battled on June 26, 2006.

He said "thankfully" no passers-by were hit.

Last year, Williams was given permission by a single judge to have his appeal heard before three judges. The hearing was listed today before Lord Justice Pill, Mr Justice Owen and the Recorder of Dover.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News