Wolves 2 Leicester 1

Sport | Published:

Wolves held on for their second win of the season after Leicester pushed them all the way at Molineux this afternoon.

Wolves held on for their second win of the season after Leicester pushed them all the way at Molineux this afternoon.

Paul Konchesky's 35-yard piledriver triggered a nervous last 20 minutes for Stale Solbakken's side who were cruising after Sylvan Ebanks-Blake (13) headed Wolves in front and former Leicester defender Richard Stearman (20) doubled their lead.

Wolves were fairly untroubled and in control until Konchesky's goal out of the blue, but lived dangerously as David Nugent headed inches wide, substitute Martyn Waghorn drilled against the post and fellow replacement Anthony Knockaert saw two efforts blocked for the visitors in a late siege.

Victory eased some of the tension building as Wolves, who were left second bottom at the start of play, face two away games in the next six days at Ipswich on Wednesday and Peterborough on Saturday.

Solbakken made two changes from the side beaten 3-1 at Cardiff two weeks ago.

Richard Stearman and Karl Henry returned at the expense of Ronald Zubar and Dave Edwards.

Henry took the armband from Kevin Doyle, but while Edwards dropped to the bench, there was no place in the 18 for Zubar, who paid the price for giving away a soft penalty at Cardiff and a below-par performance by losing his ever-present record in the Championship so far this season

Also on the bench for the first time in the Championship were new signings Georg Margreitter and Razak Boukari, in place of Danny Batth and Anthony Forde, while Bjorn Sigurdarson also returned to the 18 at the expense of Frank Nouble.


Fit-again Kevin Foley, in the squad for the first time this season, completed the bench.

Wolves took the lead with the first serious attack of the game.

And it exposed a setpiece weakness in the Leicester ranks which they went on to exploit again.

Ben Marshall tripped Tongo Doumbia, who had used his strength to outmuscle Daniel Drinkwater, to concede a cheap free kick 35 yards out.


Bakary Sako swung in the setpiece and Ebanks-Blake powered home a header into the roof of the net from inside the six-yard box for his third goal of the season.

The impressive Kevin Doyle, who looked hungry for action and goals after early buffetings from the two Leicester centre-halves, then had keeper Kasper Schmeichel at full stretch to tip away his left-foot curling shot that appeared to be heading for the top corner.

And from the resulting corner hoisted in by Sako, Wolves made it 2-0.

Doyle glanced the ball on at the near post and Stearman – playing against his old club for the first time - crashed home a left-foot volley which flew in off the underside of the bar.

The goal settled Wolves, but they had to be alert and indeed, keeper Carl Ikeme had to be at his best as he pulled off a superb one-handed save to deny a rising left-foot drive from Marshall that was tipped over the bar.

Ikeme, who had a loan spell at Leicester in 2010-11, was in less dramatic action when he made a falling save from the same player from 22 yards.

Doyle was then denied twice within a matter of seconds as the Ireland international galloped onto a superb through pass from Ebanks-Blake.

Holding off a defender, he forced Schmeichel to smother then saw his tight-angled follow-up blocked by Wes Morgan.

Little had been seen of the Leicester attack for some time but they broke in an isolated move just before half-time with Nugent whistling a rising, first-time shot well over the bar after a diagonal ball from Lloyd Dyer.

Wolves created the first opening of the second half when Sako's up-and-over-the-wall free kick was tipped wide by Schmeichel.

And the home side continued to hold the upper hand into and through the middle part of the half without really looking like adding to their two goals.

Sako forced Schmeichel into another diving save with an angled shot after the French winger had little other option with no support.

Leicester began to show signs of recovery and produced two half chances through substitute Knockaert, both of which were blocked by Christophe Berra.

But it took a goal out of the blue from the visitors for the game to really burst into life again.

And Konchesky's strike was out of this world, as the former Liverpool and Fulham left-back let fly from fully 35 yards with a shot that ripped into the top corner of the net to give Ikeme no chance.

The goal inspired the previously flat Foxes and Nugent saw a header trickle agonisingly wide with Ikeme looking unsure as to whether it would creep in or not, before substitute Waghorn drilled against the base of the post.

Wolves were close to a third goal gift in the last seconds of normal time as substitute Sigurdarson's cross was tapped along the goal-line by Liam Moore, only for Schmeichel to calmly take control.

But despite a few anxious moments at the death in the five minutes of time added on, Wolves held on for their second win of the season.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News