Express & Star

Man jailed after crashing into cyclist and leaving him to die

A speeding driver who crashed into a 59-year-old cyclist and left him to die in the road during a "cowardly" hit and run has been jailed for seven and a half years.

Kade Scrivens

Kade Scrivens, 24, of Booth Street, Handsworth, claimed it was a "tragic accident" when he lost control of his BMW 116i M Sport and veered onto the wrong side of Midland Road, Darlaston, ploughing into Yodel worker Nicholas Harrison.

But Judge Simon Ward dismissed his claims as "false" and said he showed a "blatant disregard to others" through his dangerous driving on November 22.

"Respected and responsible" Mr Harrison had been cycling home from a night shift at about 3.20am when he was struck by Scrivens, who fled immediately.

He drove for more than a mile before parking his sports car on the side of the road and removing the near number plate.

A father to a six-year-old boy, Scrivens did not turn himself into a police station until 55 hours later, where he was arrested and charged for causing death by dangerous driving.

Through a victim impact statement read out in court, Mr Harrison's only sibling Christopher, 70, said his brother's death had affected him greatly.

Hugely missed

He described him as a "physically fit" man and a regular cyclist, who was a highly respected and valued member of the team at parcel company Yodel. He was also a loyal supporter and a steward of 20 years at West Bromwich Albion, a place where he would be hugely missed.

During his cycle home on the night of his death, Mr Harrison was wearing a high visibility sash and had flashing lights, while riding along a designated cycle path on Midland Road.

Wolverhampton Crown Court heard on Tuesday this week that Scrivens had been driving at "grossly excessive" speeds on the way to his girlfriend's house in Willenhall and lost control while exiting a roundabout. He smashed into Mr Harrison, sending him flying up into the air.

Reading a statement on his behalf, solicitor Theresa Hunt said Scrivens was "wholeheartedly remorseful" for what he had done and that the only reason he had not immediately called the police was out of fear and panic.

But Judge Ward dismissed this, and said he believed Scrivens had waited so long to turn himself in was because he had been driving either under the influence of drink or drugs.

Sentencing him, the Judge said: "Nicholas Harrison was a regular cyclist, he was as safe as any cyclist thought they could be. He was careful and responsible. You gave no thought to the safety of other people.

"You took off the last remaining number plate and lay low. Saying it was a tragic accident is a lie and you know it. I can only imagine how much Nicholas' friends will miss him."

Scrivens' was jailed for seven and a half years and disqualified from driving for three years, to begin after his sentence is served.

Sergeant Paul Hughes from West Midlands Police said: “Nicholas Harrison had done nothing wrong and was purely heading home from work as he did on a regular basis.

“Whilst Kade Scrivens has admitted the offence this will never bring back a life and I can only hope that the sentence offers some comfort to his family and friends."