Stafford fire fundraising money to go to two-year-old survivor Jack
More than £31,000 raised for the family of four children killed in a house fire is to largely be used to support their two-year-old brother.
The trustees of funds raised for the Stafford house fire victims said their immediate priority was to make sure money is made available to support any funeral and memorial costs.
Riley Holt, aged eight, Keegan Unitt, six, Tilly Rose Unitt, four, and Olly Unitt, three, died in the fire in Sycamore Lane, Highfields.
Their inquests are due to be opened tomorrow.
More on the Stafford house fire:
- Cannabis fire and boiler defect rumours dismissed
- Man and woman arrested over deaths are bailed
- Candlelit vigil 'helps bring community together'
- Fundraising football tournament for house fire victims
Some money will be used to help pay for the funerals but the trustees as much of the costs were likely to be met by Stafford Borough Council and funeral directors, cash would be left over.
The remaining money will be left for two-year-old Jack, who survived the tragedy alongside his 24-year-old mother Natalie Unitt and her 28-year-old partner Chris Moulton, who jumped out of a first-floor window.
The trustees said in a statement: “We have been overwhelmed with the generosity of the local and wider community in response to the JustGiving fund set up following the tragic fire.
“JustGiving require the creator of the fund to nominate where these funds are to be paid and, having taken legal and Government advice, the most appropriate action is for a trust fund to be created.
“The creation of the trust is the responsibility of the person instigating the JustGiving fund.
“A member of the local community who has been closely involved in giving their support following the tragic events will assist in this process.”
"The immediate issues faced by the trust are to ensure that monies are made available quickly to support any funeral and memorial costs for Riley, Keegan, Tilly-Rose and Olly, although it is anticipated that a significant part of those costs will be met by the generosity of local funeral directors, individuals and community groups and Stafford Borough Council.
"Thereafter, the trustees wish to safeguard the remainder of the funds, and any further monies raised.
"The children’s two-year-old brother who survived this tragedy, is the main beneficiary of the trust.
"There are still many issues to be resolved, and it is important that the funds are safeguarded until such time as there is sufficient clarity to consider how best to utilise the monies held in trust.
"Those who have donated can be assured that, save for providing urgent financial assistance such as described above, the funds will be held by the trustees."
A woman, 28, and a man, 28, arrested on suspicion of manslaughter by gross negligence have been bailed.
The cause of the fire has not yet been confirmed but police have ruled out cannabis and a faulty boiler in response to rumours circulating in the local area.
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.