Oldbury fraudster prosecuted for £44k theft of money intended to fund care of relative

An Oldbury resident has received a suspended sentence for stealing around £44,000 meant to cover a family member's care.

Abdul Habib Khan, 59, pleaded guilty to two charges of fraud by abuse of position contrary to the Fraud Act 2006 after taking the money which was given out as a direct payment grant. He was prosecuted by Sandwell Council.

Between the years of 2013 and 2019, he underused approximately £30,000, meaning the family member did not get their identified care needs met.

In addition there was a balance of £14,000 in his bank account on termination of the direct payment agreement.

Khan, of All Angels Walk, was advised the money was not his to keep and was invoiced and asked to return it to the council, however, he did not pay it back and later withdrew the money in cash.

After the plea, a sentencing hearing at Wolverhampton Crown Court was held on Thursday, May 18 and he was sentenced to two years imprisonment suspended for two years. He will also have a curfew between the hours of 10.30pm and 6.30am for six months and 15 days of Rehabilitation Activity Requirement (RAR).

Councillor Bob Piper, deputy leader at Sandwell Council and Cabinet Member for Finance and Resources, said: “Mr Khan abused his position of trust and stole a total of £44,000 over a prolonged period of time.

“This is a very sad case that resulted in a vulnerable adult not getting their identified care needs met.

“Direct payments should be used as set out in support plans and this case goes to demonstrate we will take action if these payments aren’t used correctly.”

Direct Payments must be used for items and services set out in a support plan. The money can't be used for anything else including day-to-day living expenses or to pay debts.

The council can take action to get the money back if it has been spent it on anything that has not been approved.

Due to limited means, Khan has been ordered to pay £15 per month for 12 months with the council being advised to pursue recovery of the outstanding amount through the civil courts.

Most Read

Most Read

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News