Woman died after two visits to New Cross A&E
A teaching assistant was sent away from hospital twice by staff believing she was suffering with a stomach bug, but died on her third visit with blood poisoning, an inquest heard.
Naomi Dawes-Dickson was not given a blood test on her two first visits to New Cross Hospital's accident and emergency department in Wolverhampton.
Smethwick coroner's court heard yesterday that she went to hospital due to vomiting and diarrhoea at 4am on October 2 2011. Doctors said it was likely to be viral gastroenteritis, and the 45-year-old was sent home. She returned at around 11.30pm. She was seen by a triage nurse then a junior doctor, Dr Maliha Chowdhury, three hours later.
No blood tests were taken and no antibiotics were given. She was discharged. Black Country Coroner Robin Balmain asked her: "Did you think it was necessary for blood tests to be taken?" Dr Chowdhury answered: "In retrospect, yes."
The hearing heard from pathologist Dr Kenneth Scott who concluded in all probability her multi-organ failure was due to the infection streptococcal septicemia.
Senior Coroner Robin Balmain said it was not possible to say that she had the infection when she visited the hospital the first two occasions. He recorded a verdict of natural causes.
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.