A piece of art about the Grenfell Tower fire is due to go on display as its creator Steve McQueen said he is determined that the disaster is never forgotten.
The 24-minute film of close-up imagery in the months after the June 2017 fire – which claimed the lives of 72 people – will be on view at the Serpentine South gallery in London from next month.
The art will go on public view following what the gallery said was a period of community outreach and private community viewings.
McQueen, who was born in west London, sought to create a record by filming the tower before it was covered with hoarding.
The 12 Years A Slave and Small Axe director said: “I knew once the tower was covered up, it would start to leave people’s minds. I was determined that it never be forgotten.”
In an interview with the Guardian, he acknowledged there will be people who are “a little bit disturbed” by the art.
He told the newspaper: “You must understand that the violence that was inflicted on that community was no joke.
“I didn’t want to let people off the hook. There are going to be people who are going to be a little bit disturbed. When you make art, anything half decent… there are certain people you will possibly offend. But that is how it is.”
McQueen has previously said he feels the Grenfell disaster happened “because no-one was listening to poor people”.
He told on Annie Macmanus’ podcast Changes, in 2021: “I think with what happened in Grenfell, I remember I was shooting Widows in Chicago when it happened. I just couldn’t believe it. And it happened because people were poor.
“It happened because no-one was listening to poor people. The only reason these people died was because they were poor. ”
The artwork will be on display from April 7 until May 10, after which it will become part of the Tate and Museum of London’s collections.
The inquiry into the blaze is due to present its final report later this year.