Express & Star

Brave Margot home after transplant op

She has undergone a life-saving operation after capturing the hearts of millions during her battle with leukaemia. And now brave Margot Martini has finally left hospital and is back in the loving arms of her family.


The youngster has left London's Great Ormond Street Hospital after her life-saving bone marrow transplant.

Her thrilled family have shared heart-warming photographs of the 19-month-old settling in at home and playing with brothers Oscar, aged six, and five-year-old Rufus.

Little Margot has spent months in hospital where she has been undergoing treatment.

Her family launched a worldwide appeal to find a suitable bone marrow donor for her after she was diagnosed with leukaemia aged 14 months.

Their appeal was seen all over the world, with more than 40,000 registering to see if they could be a suitable match for the little girl.

And in February, it was revealed a suitable stem cell match – a German donor – had been found.

Her family underwent an agonising wait to see if the operation had been a success and in March came the news everyone had been waiting for – Margot was on the mend and the transplant had been a success.

Now the youngster has headed home, much to the delight of her parents Yaser, aged 43, and 38-year-old Vicki, who is originally from Essington.

Yaser said it was great to see his daughter out of the hospital environment.

"She really doesn't remember much before she was in there," he said. "But it will be new memories from here on in."

Margot will need to avoid crowded places for a few months due to her weak immune system.

But Yaser said the next few months would be devoted to 'family time'.

"Right now is family time," he said.

The family also hopes to one day meet the German donor who saved their daughter's life.

They have already written a letter thanking him, but it had to be done anonymously.

"We hope to meet him one day – he gave us a miraculous gift," said Yaser.

People have been kept up-to-date on Margot's progress via the Team Margot Facebook page, which has more than 15,000 followers.

And hundreds have logged on to welcome the news she is now back home.

Photographs show her at the family home, in Roehampton. One picture shows her in the arms of her smiling mother, while others show her cheekily playing with her thrilled brothers.

Another shows her walking out of the hospital holding hands with her brothers alongside the caption 'Margot has left the building'.

News of Margot's return home was first posted on the Facebook page by her father Yaser, aged 43.

She had been due to return home last week but an increase in her temperature meant this could not happen.

In a post, Yaser wrote: "We are very thankful for your wonderful support and hugely grateful for the positive action that so many of you have taken. The public response to Margot's donor appeal has been astonishing, spurring tens of thousands of people to do something amazing: registering as stem cell donors on the worldwide registries and helping to save lives."

He said Team Margot would continue to work to raise awareness and encourage more people to sign up as stem cell donors.

"We wish to help reduce the awful uncertaintly associated with the donor search process in the hope that others might avoid some of the anguish that our family experienced," he said.

"Our hearts go out to all the families of the brave children we have met on this journey who have not been as fortunate as Margot.

"As permitted, we are writing to the heroic anonymous donor who selflessly donated his bone marrow and we hope to meet him one day."

Margot's family in Wolverhampton organised a donor day for people to register as stem cell donors in a bid to help other families in a similiar situation.

It took place at the Mount Hotel in Tettenhall, with more than 400 people, including Wolves legend Steve Bull, showing their support. Her family has also been selling pink wristbands and hairbows as part of the appeal.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.