Chasetown 2 Lincoln United 1 - Report and pictures

Captain Jack Langston scored his 50th goal for Chasetown as his two penalties earned them a 2-1 win over Lincoln United in the FA Trophy.

The game had three penalties with Lincoln’s Matthew Cotton scoring early in the second half to pull the scores level, after Langston’s opener late in the first half.

But Langston stepped up on 67 minutes, after a foul on Danny Cocks in the box, and fired into the roof of the net which sealed Chasetown’s progress into the next round.

It was a physical game between both teams at The Scholars Ground where referee Stuart Richardson brandished four yellow cards.

The first half was a largely quiet affair with neither side having many chances. Chasetown goalkeeper Curtis Pond made a good save to deny Kevin Hemagou on 17 minutes and Josh Beaumont fired a thunderous volley just over the bar on 21 minutes, after making the most of a half-a-chance when the ball fell to him on the edge of the box.

Chasetown were happy to sit back and defend for most of the first 45 minutes but the game sprung to life in the closing stages. George Cater controlled the ball before spinning and launching a powerful volley which struck the far post. Then moments later the referee pointed to the spot after a handball by a Lincoln player in the box and Langston stepped up to score his 50th goal for the club.

The second half proved a lot more eventful and Lincoln found themselves back in the game when Cotton scored from the spot on 50 minutes, after a handball from a Chasetown player.

As the game got more lively, tempers frayed as Cotton pushed over Cocks in the chest following a tackle between both players, with the referee showing a yellow card.

Ten minutes later and Cocks was fouled in Lincoln’s box with the referee pointing to the spot. Langston stepped up and scored his second penalty of the game by firing into the roof of the net.

Lincoln pressed Chasetown late on with a couple of chances in quick succession while the referee waved away calls for a third Chasetown penalty, after Danny Cox was pushed in the box following a slaloming run.

But Chasetown held on to secure their place in the next round of the FA Trophy.

Most Read

Most Read

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News