Thug jailed for 16 years over 'murderous attack' in Wolverhampton nightspot

Wolverhampton | News | Published:

A thug who repeatedly stabbed a man in a 'murderous attack' at a city centre nightspot was today jailed for 16 years – and gave a thumbs up to the court's public gallery as he was sent down.

Carlos Streete knifed Tyrone Whitehouse, 22, in the stomach before wounding him four more times in the back as the victim tried to flee, Wolverhampton Crown Court heard this morning.

The 21-year-old attacker struck at Manders Bar in North Street, Wolverhampton, in the early hours of July 21, possibly after barging into a cubicle in front of the other man.

Mr Whitehouse claimed that he was stabbed after refusing to buy drugs from Streete who was convicted by a jury after an earlier trial of attempted murder and had been remanded in custody for pre-sentence reports.

Judge John Wait told him today: "You were seen following Tyrone Whitehouse down the stairs to the toilets at the club but despite this you went into the cubicle, you both intended to use, ahead of him.

"I make no finding of what you were doing in there. You were not charged with drug dealing and I specifically ignore that.

"You became angry, took out a knife and launched a murderous attack on him.

"He was a powerfully built young man, and despite being stabbed once, grabbed your wrist and managed to prevent you delivering a further blow to his chest.

"But as he turned to get away you demonstrated your murderous intent by repeatedly stabbing him in the back."


Mr Whitehouse still managed to run out of the club before collapsing on the pavement outside.

He spent 11 days under treatment in hospital and has also suffered psychologically, the court was told.

Streete, from Laburnum Street, Chapel Ash, who had a previous conviction for carrying a lock knife as at 16 year old, stayed in the club to wash the blood off his hands.

He had also got rid of the knife used in the attack by the time he was arrested a week later. The weapon was never found.


Judge Wait said: "I accept it was an argument that arose between two people, who were effectedly strangers, at very short notice and that you are still a very young man.

"But at the time you represented and continue to represent, a significant risk of causing serious injury or death."

He said that because of this Streete should serve at least two thirds of the sentence before the parole board could consider his possible release and when freed he will have a further four years added to the period of time he will remain on licence.

Streete shook his head as his sentence was announced but gave a thumbs up to the public gallery as he left to begin the jail term.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News