Advertising

Walsall Manor Hospital ward closed for a week after norovirus outbreak

By Jordan Reynolds | Walsall | Health | Published:

A ward at Walsall Manor Hospital has been closed for a week after an outbreak of the highly contagious norovirus.

Walsall Manor Hospital

Ward 15 has now been closed for a week and there are also partial restrictions on Ward 3.

It comes after Wards 1 and 14 were closed to visitors due to an outbreak of the same condition at the end of last month and the start of this month.

Director of nursing, Karen Dunderdale, said: “Norovirus is very easily spread from person to person especially in places where groups of people are together for periods of time or where there are people more susceptible to picking up bugs due to being ill or weak or elderly, such as in care home and hospital environments.

"We have put these temporary restrictions in place to protect people as best we can from this extremely contagious infection.”

Walsall Healthcare posted on Twitter on May 6 thanking the public for their patience.

It said: "Norovirus update: We are pleased to inform that all wards at Walsall Manor Hospital are now fully open to visitors.

"We thank you for bearing with us while the temporary restrictions were in place, which existed to protect patients, their families and carers and our staff."

And today they posted again saying: "Ward 15 is still closed to visitors following norovirus and there are some visiting restrictions on Ward 3 - please contact the wards via switchboard 01922 721172 if you need to speak to the nurse in charge."

Jordan Reynolds

By Jordan Reynolds
Reporter - @jreynolds_star

Senior reporter at the Express & Star.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

Advertising

UK & International News