Notification Settings

Subscribe to one or all notification sources from this one place.

Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get the day's top stories sent directly to you.

Molineux fire: Several days until facts around blaze are fully known

Investigations are continuing into the blaze that broke out in a hospitality suite at Wolves' Molineux ground.

The fire damage inside Molineux
The fire damage inside Molineux

Around 20 firefighters attended the blaze just before 2am on Sunday - which started in the bar area of the Sir Jack Hayward suite.

Fire crews were at the scene within five minutes after being called by overnight security staff.

No one was hurt in the blaze, with investigations continuing to establish all the facts surrounding the fire.

Molineux - After a fire broke out in the early hours of Sunday morning

West Midlands Fire Service said it is believed the blaze started accidentally due to a dishwasher - however it is understood that it could take several days until all the facts are fully known.

WMFS Area Commander Alex Shapland said as urged other businesses to check their appliances on a regular basis.

The Area Commander said: “We know that the fire has come as a shock not only to Wolves’ fans but also members of the local and footballing communities.

“Fortunately, we were alerted quickly. Our firefighters’ rapid arrival meant they were able to stop the fire spreading beyond the bar area where it started and to prevent any wider damage.

“Around a third of the bar area was damaged by the fire, which we believe started accidentally in a dishwasher.

“We’ve been blown away by the many messages of thanks we’ve had for our actions. We very much hope that the club is able to repair the damage and re-open the affected area as soon as possible.

“Many businesses never recover from having a fire, but having a fire risk assessment and business continuity plans in place can help you to avoid this. We have a team of fire safety officers who can provide expert advice.

“We’re also urging people to take care when using any electrical appliance. Turn them off when they’re not being used, and never leave them on if you go out or to bed.

“It’s also important that you register electrical items and appliances when you get them, so the manufacturer can contact you if there’s a safety issue or recall.”

Footage of the blaze was captured by Wolves season ticket Kyle Hughes - who described being 'emotional' when he first noticed the fire.

He said: "I was up with my one-year-old son, he was having a coughing fit at around 1.30am. Around 10 or 20 minutes later I heard loud alarms.

"We live in a high-rise flat and I could see smoke rising above the Stan Cullis stand, I tried to capture it on video and it was just getting worse and worse. It went over the Billy Wright stand and just started to spread out.

"When we came out onto the balcony you could hear the loud alarms, I'm sure you could hear it for miles around. It was quite worrying because my first thought was one of the lights on the pitch had caught fire, but looking now they've said it was an appliance."

Nobody was in the Sir Jack Hayward Suite when the fire broke out and fire crews managed to contain the flames and damage to one room.

Wolves have said the damage caused by the blaze is likely to take "some time" to repair and that hospitality ticket holders affected will be contacted ahead of the next home fixture against Norwich in the FA Cup on Saturday, February 5.

The Billy Wright stand includes the Molineux Suite where conferences and events are held next to the reception area by Waterloo Road.

Wolves have apologised to nearby residents for the disruption and thanked fire crews for their quick work after being alerted by security staff at the club just before 2am.

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News