Relocation of council offices and the Prince of Wales Theatre discussed in Cannock Chase Council budget meeting

The Museum of Cannock Chase, artificial intelligence and relocation of council offices were discussed at Cannock Chase's budget-setting meeting.

Published

Conservatives at Cannock Chase Council have called for the authority to “urgently revisit decisions relating to the Prince of Wales Theatre” and explore options to relocate the district’s museum collection in their alternative budget.

A review of car parking facilities across the district and an assessment of how artificial intelligence could be used by the authority were also part of the proposals presented to council members at their budget-setting meeting on Monday (February 16).

Cannock Chase District Council - by LDR with permission for use by all LDRS partners
Cannock Chase District Council

The Museum of Cannock Chase and the Prince of Wales Theatre both closed to the public last year as part of measures to close a £1.3m budget gap. But hopes remain for a sustainable future for the museum collection – and calls to save the theatre from demolition continue.

The alternative budget report, presented to Monday’s full council meeting, said: “While Labour Cabinet members offered reassurances in September that there were no plans to demolish the Theatre and that meaningful engagement would continue, those assurances were hollow. In less than two months, the Labour Cabinet executed a complete U-turn, voting to demolish the theatre and deliberately closing the door on any further dialogue.

“This alternative budget proposes to halt the current course of action and urgently revisit decisions relating to the Prince of Wales Theatre. This must include commissioning a full and independent structural survey; revisiting Cannock Town Centre Regeneration plans with a view to redirecting available Government capital funding towards restoring local theatre provision; and actively exploring all viable governance and management options.

“We reiterate our call to urgently explore all available options to save, modernise, and appropriately locate the museum collection in an energy-efficient, accessible setting where it can once again be enjoyed by the public. This must include actively pursuing external funding opportunities, such as support from Arts Council England and the National Lottery Heritage Fund.

“Over the past three years, we have repeatedly called for meaningful public consultation and the development of a clear, long-term strategy. The Conservative Group believes this is now imperative – without decisive action, Cannock Chase risks losing its museum—and its heritage—altogether.”

The alternative budget failed to gain enough support to be referred back to the council’s cabinet for further consideration, however. Instead, the council approved the budget previously backed by cabinet members.

Residents will see the tax they pay for district council services, such as bin collections and open spaces management, go up by 2.99% from April. This means the annual bill for residents in Band D properties will rise from £251.30 to £258.81.

Council leader Steve Thornley told elected members at Monday’s meeting that the authority was facing a government funding cut of £900,000 each year in 2027/28 and 2028/29. “Thanks to the efforts of our Section 151 Officer, members and MP for lobbying central government, it was decided to allocate a one-off grant for 2026/27”, he said.

“The 2026/27 budget is balanced and maintains services. There is some investment in services, and the council continues to improve services to residents where possible, while being fiscally responsible.”

Councillor Thornley said that a survey was set to be carried out on the theatre. “With the museum, we are doing some work with the heritage group, and I believe their vision is quite positive,” he added.

The council’s Conservative group has said it “fundamentally opposes” plans to pursue the relocation and potential construction of new council offices “for a council that will shortly cease to exist”. The council is set to be abolished in two years’ time as part of the national local government reorganisation.

But Councillor Thornley said: “We are not going to build a new civic centre. There would be office space available, but it wouldn’t be a new civic centre – the cost to keep this is absolutely enormous for a very small number of people.

“My group is not going to back away from making hard fiscal decisions.”