Husband of Sandwell councillor recovering after fight with coronavirus

The husband of a Sandwell councillor is on the road to recovery after testing positive for coronavirus.

Glyn Costigan is now recovering from coronavirus
Glyn Costigan is now recovering from coronavirus

Glyn Costigan, who is married to Councillor Elaine Costigan, had been taken to Sandwell General Hospital for treatment.

But he has since been discharged and is getting better day-by-day – and is testing his limits by walking to the car and gate at their home.

The 63-year-old, who has since lost more than four stone in weight, first developed a temperature and had been feeling unwell around March 25.

Glyn when he was discharged from hospital on April 9.

Paramedics visited the couple's home three times, with Mrs Costigan growing concerned over his health.

She called Spires Health Care and spoke with Dr Ajay Ramachandran, known as AJ, who arranged an appointment for them on Friday at the walk-in centre on Parsonage Street.

Elaine Costigan, who is a councillor for Wednesbury North, said: "Our doctor arranged for him to go to the centre where they were looking at Covid-patients.

"He could hardly walk at this stage and they came out within 10 minutes and said 'we need to take him to hospital' – he was really poorly.

"He went into Sandwell General Hospital and four days later – after having the test – it came back positive.

Councillor Elaine Costigan

"Obviously he wasn't eating food at this stage and he's lost some weight – luckily he had some to lose.

"It's been an horrendous time for the family – he's never really been ill so it's been a massive shock, but I'm glad to have him home."

Mr Costigan, who was discharged on April 9, is recovering at home and has been trying to "build himself up" to where he was.

Mrs Costigan – along with her husband – praised hard working NHS staff who "never stopped" helping – including those from the intermediate care team (ICT) and cardiology ward Lyndon 4.

She added: "It's a truly horrible disease but he's recovering now – I think it's going to be a while, but I'm thankful.

"I want to thank our doctor and the paramedics who came out – and all the healthcare staff.

"If he didn't go to the centre I don't think he would've made it – so I'm extremely grateful."

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News