Trial of man, 18, accused of attempted murder in Smethwick temporarily halted due to judge becoming unwell
The trial of an 18-year-old man accused of attempted murder in Smethwick was temporarily halted due to the judge being taken ill.
On Monday Judge Barry Berlin KC opened the trial of defendant Jonan Walker who is accused of attempting to murder Ursula Lawrence, in St Paul's Road, in Smethwick, on March 25 last year.
After a day's break, jurors arriving for the case on Wednesday morning were told that the judge was ill in hospital and the hearing was being adjourned.
Addressing the jury Wolverhampton Combined Court Centre resident judge Michael Chambers KC said: "Unfortunately Judge Berlin is unable to attend.

"He is due to undergo a course of treatment involving a short admission to hospital. He is expected to be fit and able to continue on Monday.
"Please come back on Monday."
The case relates to the alleged victim being found with serious head injuries.
Walker, of St Paul's Road, denies attempted murder and denies wounding with intent.
The trial continues.



