Wolves fan arrested over Porto violence with Belgian hooligans

One Wolves fan was arrested and 16 Belgians were "identified" after clashes in Porto this week, according to local police.

A man is attacked by a large group on Rua de Jose Falcao in Porto
A man is attacked by a large group on Rua de Jose Falcao in Porto

In a statement reported by Portugese media, the Public Security Police said one English citizen had been arrested “for participating in violence and causing damage” and 16 Belgians had been identified who are suspected of the same crime.

The announcement came after two nights of violence involving supporters of Wolves and Belgian club Standard Liege which left "several people" injured and caused damage to "commercial establishments and public spaces".

Belgian hooligans appeared to have targeted Wolves fans on Tuesday and Wednesday, as supporters of both clubs stayed in Porto ahead of their respective Europa League matches on Thursday.

WATCH: Police break-up Porto trouble

Despite black-clad Belgian supporters appearing to have been the aggressors in most of the violence, none of them

The teams were both playing in cities around 30 miles away from Porto, with Wolves drawing 3-3 in Braga and Liege drawing 1-1 against Vitória de Guimarães.

Fans who travelled from the West Midlands to Portugal told the Express & Star how running battles broke out across the city as British fans were specifically sought out by Belgian supporters, with one man seen lying on the floor surrounded by blood.

WATCH: Wolves fans on Porto violence and Braga party

Various videos shared on social media showed chairs being thrown and men fighting on streets across the city, while one supporter shared a photo of his battered face after he was attacked outside a bar and left with a fractured cheek, fractured eye socket and broken nose.

Police, who used rubber bullets to break up some of the disorder, said "appropriate precautionary measures" were taken to restore order.

There were no reports of trouble in Braga itself, with the only issues coming directly before the match when many Wolves fans were forced to wait outside the stadium.

Many supporters missed the entire first half, in which Wolves took a 3-1 lead, as police made them stand in a muddy field outside the ground.

Flags, bags, electronic equipment and food were confiscated for unknown reasons, while videos showed chaotic scenes at the turnstiles.

The Foreign Office declined to comment on the arrest, while the Portugese police force has not responded to repeated requests from the Express & Star for comment.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News