Andrew’s protection officers urged to come forward with what they ‘saw or heard’

The Met said it was also working with US counterparts to establish if London airports had been used to facilitate human trafficking.

By contributor Josh Payne, Izzie Addison and Sam Russell, Press Association
Published
Last updated
Supporting image for story: Andrew’s protection officers urged to come forward with what they ‘saw or heard’
Police have urged Andrew’s former protection officers to come forward (Jordan Pettitt/PA)

Detectives have urged Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s former close protection officers to “consider carefully whether anything they saw or heard” is relevant to their investigation into paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein and his associates.

The Metropolitan Police said it was also working with counterparts in the US to establish whether London airports had been used to “facilitate human trafficking and sexual exploitation”.

On Friday, the force said no new reports of alleged sexual offences have been made since the release of millions of pages of documents related to Epstein by the US Department of Justice.

The Met’s words follow Andrew’s arrest on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office, which saw him held in custody for 11 hours before being released under investigation.

The force previously said it was looking into allegations Andrew’s protection officers turned a “blind eye” to his visits to Epstein’s island, Little St James.

Police are yet to identify any wrongdoing by close protection officers.

Andrew’s primary accuser, Virginia Giuffre, alleged she had sex with him during an orgy with “underage” girls on the Caribbean island.

The former prince has previously vehemently denied all allegations made against him.

Police officers at Royal Lodge, the former home of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor
Police officers at Royal Lodge, the former home of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor (Jonathan Brady/PA)

In a statement issued on Friday, police said: “The Met is identifying and contacting former and serving officers who may have worked closely, in a protection capacity, with Andrew Mountbatten‑Windsor.

“They have been asked to consider carefully whether anything they saw or heard during that period of service may be relevant to our ongoing reviews and to share any information that could assist us.”

The statement added: “As of today, no new criminal allegations have been made to the Met regarding sexual offences said to have occurred within our jurisdiction.

“We continue to urge anyone with new or relevant information to come forward.

“All allegations will be taken seriously and, as with any matter, any information received will be assessed and investigated where appropriate.”

Searches have been ongoing at Andrew’s former home – Royal Lodge, in Windsor, Berkshire – following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office on Thursday.

Andrew Mounbatten-Windsor – Epstein files scandal
Members of the media at the Sandringham Estate, where Andrew has relocated following his departure from the Royal Lodge in Windsor (Jordan Pettitt/PA)

He became the first senior royal in modern history to be arrested after being taken into custody on his 66th birthday.

Thames Valley Police, who are leading that investigation, are yet to receive any “early investigative advice” from the Crown Prosecution Service in relation to the allegation, it is understood.

The arrest came after Andrew was alleged to have shared sensitive information with Epstein during his time as the UK’s trade envoy.

On Friday, a helicopter circled Royal Lodge, with unmarked vans, believed to be police vehicles, entering the grounds throughout the morning.

A police presence remained at the Sandringham Estate but searches of Andrew’s Norfolk home concluded on Thursday.

The arrest of the King’s younger brother made headlines across the world, including a picture of him looking drained and exhausted, slouched in the back of a vehicle leaving Aylsham police station.