Unai Emery gives Harvey Elliott update as new details of Aston Villa deal emerge
Unai Emery says Harvey Elliott will be able to fully aid Villa's quest for Europa League glory after more details of the midfielder’s loan deal emerged.
Elliott has played just seven times since joining from Liverpool last season, due to Villa’s reluctance to trigger a clause which would mean they had to buy him permanently for £35million once he makes 10 appearances.
But it is understood that clause applies only to Premier League matches, meaning the 22-year-old is available to feature in Villa’s European campaign.
Elliott is currently sidelined with a minor injury but is expected to be back fit for the first leg of next month’s last-16 tie on March 12.
The former England under-21 international made just his second start for the club in last month’s 3-2 win over RB Salzburg.
“He is injured now. He is not available because of injury,” said Emery.
“I was so clear one month ago. I think we must carry on, and of course help him as much as we can. Then, try to make him feel comfortable here.
“He is going to be available more or less to play in Europe. We are now in January, trying to focus on the Premier League, trying to focus on Europe.”
Elliott was absent for nearly four months of the season as Villa tried unsuccessfully to negotiate a removal of the clause with Liverpool.
He made a surprise return to the squad for last month’s 2-0 win at Newcastle, before starting against Salzburg and then coming off the bench in a 1-0 Premier League defeat against Brentford.
In addition to two Europa League appearances, Elliott has played in four Premier League matches and Villa’s Carabao Cup defeat to Brentford.
It is understood the obligation to buy clause would also be triggered if he appeared in five league matches during the second half of the season.




