Six-vehicle crash blocks M6 south for two hours
The M6 was blocked for more than two hours today after a six-vehicle crash in the West Midlands.
Police, medics and firefighters were all at the scene at Junction 7, where casualties had to be cut free and a van was left mangled after the crash happened at around 11.30am.
Pictures shared by West Bromwich fire station showed the scale of the damage to one van involved in the smash.
Traffic was diverted past the crash scene via the exit and entry slip roads until the road was reopened at around 2pm.
Two men were taken to hospital after the crash.
A man in his 40s, who suffered pelvic and abdominal injuries, was released from a vehicle and taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham.
The passenger of the van, a man in his 50s, was taken to Sandwell Hospital with minor injuries.
A woman, believed to be in her 30s, was assessed at the scene and discharged with minor injuries while five others involved were uninjured.
Three ambulances, a paramedic officer and the Midlands Air Ambulance Crew from Cosford were called to the scene at 11.20am.
It comes after the M6 was shut southbound for more than 11 hours following a crash between junctions 13 and 14 late on Sunday evening.
West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman Jamie Arrowsmith said: “On arrival, crews discovered three cars, a van and a HGV that had been in collision.
“Unfortunately, one of the patients, a man in his 40s, was trapped following the incident.
“Ambulance staff monitored and assessed him whilst the fire service worked to free him from the vehicle.
“He was treated for abdominal and pelvic injuries, immobilised with the use of a scoop stretcher and given pain relief before being taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital on blue lights.
“A man in his 50s, who was a passenger in the van, had managed to get himself out.
" He was treated for minor abdominal and neck injuries and taken to Sandwell Hospital.
“A woman, believed to be in her 30s, who had been travelling in one of the cars was assessed and discharged at the scene with minor injuries.
“There were five other occupants of the vehicles, all of whom were uninjured in the collision.”
A West Midlands Fire Service spokesman said: "One male was released from one of the vehicles. He suffered injuries and was taken to Queen Elizabeth.
"A second person was taken to Sandwell Hospital with minor injuries while the rest of the drivers were given precautionary check-ups on the scene by paramedics.
"Police, paramedics and highways were all in attendance. The carriageway remains closed for a couple of hours."
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.