Residents lose battle to stop 150 new homes in Coven as plans approved
Hundreds of Coven residents have lost their battle to stop 150 new homes being built on farmland near the centre of the village.
South Staffordshire District Council received 465 objections to Bloor Homes’ application, which sought outline approval for the housing development on land at Grange Farm, School Lane.
Get the latest headlines delivered straight to your inbox with the Express & Star’s free newsletter

But the proposals were passed, by seven votes to five, at a planning committee meeting on Tuesday (February 17). The application, which also includes a health hub, land for a first school expansion, flood storage area and drainage, had been recommended for approval by planning officers before the meeting.
Ward councillors Wendy Sutton and Diane Holmes both spoke of existing flooding issues in the area. Councillor Sutton said: “I have had an awful lot of correspondence in relation to the flooding issues I have personally dealt with as a district councillor in the past 13 years.
“Having read the commentaries by the county council, I’m somewhat resolved. But it is of great concern, especially the access off Brewood Road – it has serious impact on traffic flow through Coven.”
Councillor Holmes said: “I endorse everything that has been said, but I do have some positive points to make. The prospect of a new GP building would be an addition to the quality of life for residents and more affordable homes and bungalows for local people will add to the prospect of a more satisfied local community.”
Coven resident Charles Wallace spoke on behalf of many of the objectors at Tuesday’s meeting. He said: “This is a totally inappropriate plan – 150 homes will increase the size of Coven by nearly 10% and in the process it will destroy its green centre and centuries of old farming history.
“Coven may not be a quaint Cotswold village but it is still a village and it should remain so. Bloor’s plans do nothing to enhance or improve the lives of existing Coven residents – it will be hugely damaging in the short and long term.
“It will add hundreds of cars directly into the centre of the village, which is already overloaded at peak times. It’s dangerous now – to add any more traffic whatsoever in this location would be extremely negligent.”
Agent Neil Cox, who spoke in support of the application, said half of the homes were set to be affordable housing and flood alleviation measures and the Brewood Road access plans had been developed following consultation with Staffordshire County Council.
He said: “The access onto Brewood Road is acceptable and safe in principle and traffic will only have a negligible impact. Drainage, including flood alleviation measures, reduce flood risk to the adjacent school site, School Lane and Brewood Road
“It is recognised the proposal has attracted much public concern. The application comes before you with no objections from statutory consultees.
“It will deliver much-needed affordable homes and 10% of homes will be ground floor living bungalows. All green space will be maintained through a management company.”





