Plans for ‘slum’ HMO in Dudley are thrown out

Dudley Council planners rejected an application after claims it would spark a return to the dark days of Dudley slums.

Published

Members of the authority’s planning committee were asked to rule on an application for a 34-bedroom house of multiple occupation (HMO) at Regent House in King Street Dudley.

Get the latest headlines delivered straight to your inbox with the Express & Star’s free newsletter

Members of Dudley Council's Planning Committee at their meeting in February 2026. Picture Martyn Smith/ LDRS free for LDRS use
Members of Dudley Council's Planning Committee at their meeting in February 2026. Picture Martyn Smith/ LDRS

The application for a change of use from offices was debated at a meeting of the committee on February 18 where councillors were told planning officers recommended approval of the scheme.

Cllr Peter Drake said: “I have serious concerns about this development, it’s huge, it’s a mega HMO. The demands on local police and local infrastructure are going to be immense.

“It reminds me of what we got away from – the slums of Dudley where people were crammed in.

“They were hotbeds of crime, prostitution, all sorts of horrendous things, the borough is going back to that in the town centre.”

Council officers insisted the nature of the occupants was not a planning matter and the applicant had addressed concerns about security in the building, while there was sufficient car parking on site.

In their report officers said: “The existing commercial building is vacant and its use for residential purposes would contribute to a mix of dwelling types, size and tenures within the local area contributing to the delivery of housing within the borough.”

Councillors were told a management plan for the HMO had been provided including provision for round-the-clock security staff on the site.

Officers added: “Concerns raised by West Midlands Police have been addressed. Refusal of permission on the fear of crime is not, therefore, deemed to be sustainable.”

The area is designated by police as an impact area where the new HMO could cause additional strain on resources.

Figures provided by police show in the council ward where the building is located there had been 1,976 violent crimes reported and 344 ASB offences reported in the last 12 months.

Cllr Drake said: “Dudley is already suffering and we are being asked to judge if this is good or not – it is going to be bad for Dudley.

“I would not want to live there, it will be a slum.”

The plan was rejected by the committee on the grounds the size of the HMO would affect social cohesion and increase the fear of crime.

Plans for an HMO in Stourbridge were also thrown out by the committee although councillors were divided on whether to allow it.

The application was for alterations to a shop front and conversion of the first and second floors to a four-bedroom HMO.

Cllr Mark Webb said: “On the police report, it is not supported on the fear of crime. It is a high impact area for crime, it states it is approximately 50 percent higher for ASB than the national average in the past 12 months.”

Cllr Asif Ahmed said he did not think HMOs should be stigmatised for being full of criminals.

Cllr Ahmed said: “Not everyone in there is a criminal, we need to remember it is a town centre; naturally crime will be higher.”

Committee members at the meeting also rejected an application for a residential home for two children on Broadlands Drive, Brierley Hill.