FA Cup: Eastleigh 3 Stourbridge 0 - Report

By David Banner | Stourbridge FC | Published:

Stourbridge’s FA Cup run was halted on the south coast as three second half goals guided National League side Eastleigh into the second round.

SPORT COPYRIGHT EXPRESS AND STAR STEVE LEATH 09/11/19..Stourbridge FC V Eastleigh. S: Ian Long (Manager)..

But the Glassboys weren’t helped by having central defender Jordan Williams sent off 30 minutes from time.

It was the home side who had the better of the opening few minutes when good work from Charlie Seaman saw him pick out Danny Hollands in the centre but the skipper sent his header over the bar.

For the visitors, Aaron Lloyd drilled a shot at the keeper on 12 minutes but it was the Spitfires who continued to create the better opportunities.

Rob Atkinson directed a header straight at Stour keeper James Wren on 20 minutes before Sam Smart went closer still midway through the half, testing Wren with a low shot after a storming run down the right flank.

The visitors were being kept out of striking distance by the Spitfires and with ten minutes of the half remaining, Alex Nicholls tried his luck from inside his own half but keeper Max Stryjek was up to the task.

Four minutes before the interval, Ben Williamson just failed to connect with another delightful Smart cross and injury time saw Hollands again go close following another peach of a Smart cross.

The breakthrough finally came five minutes into the second half when Smart was fouled inside the area and experienced Eastleigh frontman Scott Rendell made no mistake from the spot.

Back-to-back corners came to nothing for Ian Long’s visitors and they almost fell further behind to a Hollands volley but it flew over the target.


Just after the hour Wren did well to keep out a point blank Hollands header but the Glassboys suffered a double blow moments later. First defender Williams was given his marching orders for a professional foul on Hollands before Eastleigh bagged a second from the resulting free-kick, Wren saving the initial kick only for Smart to put in the rebound.

It was 3-0 on 77 minutes when Reda Johnson turned home a corner and there was nearly a fourth but Jack Payne was denied by an excellent low save from Wren.

Eastlegh: Stryjek, Seaman, Atkinson, Boyce, Johnson (Bearwish 78), Miley, Hollands, Payne, Smart, Williamson (Beale 90), Rendell (Barnes 73). Subs (not used): Flitney, Partington, Scorey, Waterfield

Stourbridge: Wren, Green, Brown, Turton, Williams, Carter, Bellis (Cook 73), Tonks, Lloyd, Tilt (Birch 81), Nicholls (Grocott 56). Subs (not used): Landell, Taylor, Fisher, Price

Att: 1,509.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News