Notification Settings

Subscribe to one or all notification sources from this one place.


Subscribe to our newsletter to get the day's top stories sent directly to you.

Frank Sinclair leaves Hednesford Town

Hednesford Town have announced manager Frank Sinclair's departure after less than three months in charge.

Frank Sinclair leaves Hednesford Town

The Pitmen, who slipped to the bottom of the National League North following last night's 3-0 defeat at Stockport, announced the 44-year-old's departure overnight.

They have now begun the hunt for their fourth manager of the season.

A statement on the club's website read: "Hednesford Town Football Club and Frank Sinclair have this evening parted company.

"A full statement from the football club will be made today."

Former Chelsea defender Sinclair was appointed back in December, following the axing of Bernard McNally, but was unable to arrest the club's slide.

The Pitmen won just two of his 13 league games in charge, both victories coming against fellow strugglers AFC Telford United.

Hednesford have struggled for much of the season, after the exit of long-serving managerial duo Rob Smith and Larry Chambers during the opening weeks of the campaign. Both left Keys Park to take over at Telford.

Last night's loss at Edgeley Park proved the end for Sinclair, with the game getting off to the worst possible start for the Pitmen.

They fell behind in the sixth minute, as Obi Anoura was left with a free header inside the six-yard box and he planted it into the bottom corner.

Tom Thorley had already missed an early chance when he shanked his shot well wide from 35 yards.

Town almost responded straight away, with Shelton Payne striking the post after cutting inside from the wing.

Right on the stroke of half-time the home side doubled their lead, as Richard Brodie spun and shot left-footed from 30 yards with the ball finding the back of the net via the bar.

Hednesford thought they were back in it on the hour mark when Ben Bailey's header was cleared from just behind the line, but the officials waved play on.

Kennedy Digie was given a yellow card for a late tackle after 77 minutes, joining Sean Williams in the referee's book.

Seven minutes from time the home side added a third when substitute Kayode Odejayi headed home at the back post to compound a bad evening for the Pitmen.

Hednesford are at the foot of the table after Telford's 3-2 win at Alfreton and Frank Sinclair's men need to find some wins in their final 10 games, starting at Gloucester City on Saturday.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News