Notification Settings

Subscribe to one or all notification sources from this one place.


Subscribe to our newsletter to get the day's top stories sent directly to you.

Wolves - A trip down Wembley lane

They may not have been to Wembley in nearly 30 years, but when they get there - Wolves make it count.

Wolves - A trip down Wembley lane

It's certainly been a happy hunting ground for the Molineux outfit, with the team winning five of the six finals they have played there.

Here's the match report from the most recent

1988 Burnley 0 Wolves 2, Football League Trophy final, Att: 80,841

Wonderful Wolves rounded off their golden season in magnificent style by winning the Sherpa Van Trophy at Wembley.

Goals by Andy Mutch and Robbie Dennison sent Wolves storming to a thoroughly-deserved victory, enabling them to become the first club to complete the Fourth Division title and Trophy double.

In fact, they are the first Fourth Division side to win the trophy for Third and Fourth Division clubs.

And Graham Turner's tearaways also became the first favourites this season to win a major trophy at Wembley- and they did so after surviving a late, gritty rally from Burnley.

Wolves overcame the severe handicap of losing midfielder Mick Holmes and defensive kingpin Alistair Robinson through injury a minute either side of half-time.

But that, at least, gave substitutes Nigel Vaughan and Jackie Gallagher the opportunity to play their part in the victory, which gave Woves their first Wembley triumph since they won the League Cup eight years ago.

For once, goal-ace Steve Bull failed to get his name on the score-sheet, but he played a fine support role.

It was Bull's lightning reactions in the 22nd minute which set up the opening goal for his strike partner Mutch, so often the unsung hero.

Then, shortly after half-time Dennison, scorer of the goal of the tournament at the League centenary festival at Wembley, weighed in with another spectacular effort.

He curled a 25-yard free-kick past Burnley keeper Chris Pearce into the top corner to send the 46,000 Wolves fans into raptures.

Burnley were first to show, with Andy Farrell leaping to meet Ray Deakin's cross after only two minutes. But he planter his header wide.

1939 Portsmouth 4 Wolves 1, FA Cup final

1949 Leicester 1 Wolves 3, FA Cup final

1960 Blackburn 0 Wolves 3, FA Cup final

1974 Manchester City 1 Wolves 2, League Cup final

1980 Nottingham Forest 0 Wolves 1, League Cup final

Having weathered the early pressure, Wolves gradually got into their stride and Bellamy's 12th minute free-kick nearly caught out Burnley as it was touched on to the top of the bar before being scrambled clear.

As Wolves continued to impose their authority it seemed only a matter of time before they would edge ahead, and they did so exactly mid-way through the first period.

Dennison's corner from the right was flicked on by Streete, but the ball somehow eluded an army of players in the 6yd area.

In a flash, Bull flicked the ball back into the danger area, and there was MUTCH to guide his header between the groping Pearce and defender Deakin.

The goal helped to settle Wolves and they began playing their usual forceful style of football, knocking accurate balls out of defence for the ever-alert Bull and Mutch.

Burnley's frustrations began to show when Davis was booked for chopping down Bull.

Minutes earlier Holmes gave his first indication that he was in trouble with his left ankle, and went off for treatment,

But no sooner had he come back on than Robertson went down clutching his left knee following a heavy tackle from Farrell.

A minute before the break, Holmes' worst fears were confirmed as he limped dejectedly away to be replaced by Vaughan.

A great day for Wolves

Worse was to follow a minute after the interval as Robertson again went down clutching his knee and was forced off, Gallagher replacing him.

Fortunately it did not disrupt Wolves' stranglehold. And they were given just the cushion they needed in the 50th minute when Dennison pounced for the second goal.

Vaughan was brought down just outside the area by a reckless tackle from Steve Gardner.

And up stepped Northern Ireland international DENNISON to shoot with venomous pace , the ball scorching into the top corner leaving Pearce helpless.

Wolves defenders were were in no mood to give anything away, and in a couple of smart counter-attacks they nearly increased their advantage.

First Bull and Dennison combined to set up Robinson whose shot on the run inched its way past the wrong side of a post.

Then, in the final minute after Burnley had given their best in vain, Mutch hammered a close-range shot against the outside of a post.

Wolves: Kendall, Bellamy, Thompson, Streete, Robertson (Gallagher 46'), Robinson, Dennison, Downing, Bull, Mutch, Holmes (Vaughan 44').

Goals: Mutch 22' Dennison 50'

Burnley: Pearce, Daniel, Deakin, Britton, Davis, Gardner, Farrell, Oghani, Taylor, Comstive, McGrory, (James 61').

Referee: R.Milford (Bristol)

Attendance: 80,841

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News