Stourbridge 0 Stevenage 3

Sport | Published:

Stourbridge's FA Cup dream finally came to an end against League One Stevenage this afternoon.

One-time Kidderminster Harriers striker Chris Beardsley sunk The Glassboys with two second-half goals before former Birmingham midfielder Robin Shroot grabbed Stevenage's third in stoppage time at the end.

But there was no disgrace to Gary Hackett's heroes, who stuck to their footballing principles throughout against powerful and uncompromising opposition in front of a packed and partisan War Memorial Ground crowd of 3,067.

And despite struggling to create chances themselves, Stourbridge were winners whatever the result, with the club having banked up to £100,000 with TV rights and Cup prize money.

Stourbridge keeper Lewis Solly was a hero for the non-League side, making three superb saves to keep his side in the game, only to see Luke Freeman's 65th minute shot squirm through his grasp for Beardsley to prod home the opener.

League One Stevenage forced the first chance after 15 minutes when striker Ben May's left-foot shot was superbly cleared off the line by Nathan Bennett following Lawrie Wilson's cross.

But Solly ensured the first-half highlight was his when he produced a fantastic reflex save to turn away a left-foot volley from Freeman.

A scrappy game full of stoppages finally came to the boil just before the hour mark.


Most Stourbridge fans thought midfielder Leon Broadhurst had given his side a 58th minute lead from a curling free kick, but the ball had actually brushed the sidenetting and gone inches wide with much of the packed crowd cheering for a goal.

Seconds later, the action switched to the other end as Solly foiled Freeman again, tipping wide from the midfielder's skidding drive.

Then came Solly's folly, when another Freeman shot reared up in front of him after bouncing and he failed to keep two hands on the ball, Beardsley forcing home left-footed from the rebound six yards out.

Beardsley struck his and Stevenage's second goal when he swept home Harrison's cross from near the penalty spot, the latter's centre being his first touch of the ball after coming on as a substitute.


And former Derby man Beardsley was denied a hat-trick when Solly was at full stretch to take the sting out of his goal-bound shot.

But he was powerless to prevent substitute Shroot grabbing Stevenage's third when the ex-Blues man sidefooted home from the edge of the area after Solly parried Harrison's angled shot.

The final whistle saw Stourbridge's heroes embarking on a hugely-deserved lap of honour, where they were given a rousing reception by their noisy fans.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News