Fire rips through Wolverhampton bowls club
A blaze at a crown green bowls club has caused thousands of pounds worth of damage.
The fire took place at the Express & Star Bowling Club in Tettenhall at around 9.30pm on Saturday, May 5 and destroyed the club house and all its furniture, two large sheds, trees and a section of the bowling green.
Firefighters from Tettenhall Fire Station battled the flames using two hose reels for more than an hour, but despite their efforts parts of the site have been left ravaged.
Although the incident was initially suspected as arson, West Midlands Police have confirmed the fire was accidental and no further action will be taken.
The exact cost of the damage is not yet known, but costs are estimated to reach several thousand pounds.
Club secretary John Pearce said:"When you are in the situation we are you have just got to get on with it, otherwise you are letting everyone else down.
"We're just getting on with it.
He added: "We have a way of mucking in and that's what we've been doing."
Before the fire club members volunteered their time and efforts to decorate the gardens and keep the club house in order to ensure the venue was kept in pristine condition.
"We had made the place comfortable for ourselves," said John.
"We worked hard to do the gardens, it was just heartbreaking.
He added: "We are starting from scratch."
The club, which has around 60 members, are still able to fulfil their fixtures, but the damage means there are no longer facilities to offer refreshments and hospitality to visiting teams.
"It's very upsetting really, we've got nowhere to help people," said Dan Davis, a member of the club.
"Before it was very social, but now we just finish and go home. The atmosphere has gone from the club.
He added: "Our members are upset about the damage and the way we have to play our games now."
"Hopefully it will all be covered by the insurance."