Advertising

Decision on traveller transit site moved to next year

By Megan Archer | Whitmore Reans | News | Published: | Last Updated:

Council bosses have decided to delay making a decision for the proposed traveller transit site in Wolverhampton until next year.

The area is currently covered in trees and bushes

Wolverhampton Council will meet on January 14 to discuss the site after receiving a number of complaints from the community.

Planning chiefs now want more time to consider the application.

Tim Johnson, chief executive at Wolverhampton Council said: "It’s important we properly consider the application and the representations that have been made before it goes to planning committee.

"Therefore, the application has been deferred until January."

An aerial view showing the land off Gorsebrook Road in Wolverhampton. Photo: Google

The council wanted to build a £1 million transit site in the city to cater for up to 13 traveller families.

A plot of tree-covered land the size of a football pitch was earmarked off Gorsebrook Road, Whitmore Reans, which would allow them to stay for up to 28 days when they arrived in the city.

But concerns were raised about the proposed location of the plot – and why the council had picked such a deprived area.

Advertising

The council recently achieved a High Court injunction banning travellers from dozens of sites in the city – it came after the city had been blighted by rubbish and damage caused by illegal encampments, which cost taxpayers around £350,000 a year.

More coverage from the Express & Star

It came after businesses on Wolverhampton Science Park hit out at the plans in recent days

The scheme would see travellers given a section of the Science Park car park 500 metres away to leave their cars and vans.

Simon Bromley, who runs Science Park firm Tang Solutions, says he has suspended staff recruitment until the council has made a decision on the site.

Megan Archer

By Megan Archer
Chief Reporter - @MeganA_Star

Chief Reporter with the Express & Star. Give me a call on 01902 319363 or email megan.archer@expressandstar.co.uk.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News