Controversial Coseley tip homes plan overturned by inspector
Controversial plans to build 100 homes on a former tip site in Dudley have been given the green light by the planning inspectorate after an appeal was overturned.
Dudley Council's planning committee had thrown out Real Homes One Limited's plans to build up to 100 homes on the site in Bourne Street, Coseley, back in 2017, over concerns the land was contaminated.
But nearly 18 months later the planning inspectorate has granted approval for the outline planning application this week, after the firm appealed Dudley Council's decision.
Inspector Ian Radcliffe said the contamination on the site could be "effectively dealt with without harming the health, safety or amenity of local residents and future occupants of the proposed development".
Real Homes One Limited was looking to build the properties on the former tip and quarry which was was filled in over three decades and completed in the 1980s.
Leading up to Dudley Council's decision to refuse planning permission, a 527-strong petition from residents had been submitted against the scheme, along with 32 letters of objection.
Two previous bids to build homes on the site in 2005 and 2011 were also refused.
Ward Councillor Adam Aston, who spoke out against the plans in 2017, said he was "incredibly disappointed" with the decision which would leave residents living near to the site devastated.
Councillor Aston said: "I am incredibly disappointed that the planning inspectorate have given this development the go ahead. I believe it was turned down three times by Dudley's planning committee in various forms over the years.
"The last one in 2017 which I spoke in opposition for a number of reasons – mainly for the significant contamination on the land. The land was used as landfill site with hundreds of tonnes of domestic waste, untreated waste, toxic metal waste and clinical waste.
"I am incredibly disappointed not only for the contamination, but the impact of the extra traffic on the road infrastructure. Residents will be devastated this has gone through.
"This is the latest in a series of planning applications, in Dudley in particular, which have been turned down by the committee who know and live in the area – for them to be overturned."
Real Homes One Limited had submitted an appeal to the planning inspectorate in April 2018, but the approval decision was published by Inspector Radcliffe, who had been appointed to look into the appeal by the Secretary of State, on Wednesday.
The decision notice states: "There is no doubt that there is strong local feeling about this proposal, as reflected by the volume of objections received at application and appeal stage from residents and local ward councillors. This has included a petition signed by over 500 people.
"However, the extent of opposition is not, in itself, justification for refusing planning permission. With the conditions proposed the local planning authority has sufficient control to ensure that this allocated housing site is safely developed."
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.