Coronavirus live: Latest updates as stringent new rules come into force
Read the latest coronavirus updates from the UK and abroad.
“Drastic” plans to respond to the coronavirus pandemic have been set out by the Government.
If one person in a house has symptoms, including a continuous cough or fever, the whole family should stay at home for 14 days.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson urged people to stay away from pubs, clubs, theatres and “other such social venues”.
Where possible, people should work from home and mass gatherings will no longer be supported by emergency workers.
- Chancellor announces loans worth £330 billion among coronavirus measures
- Around 55,000 people have coronavirus across UK, says chief scientific adviser
- Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab advises against all but essential travel outside the UK for the next month.
- Pubs and restaurants can become takeaways, Government confirms
- The Government will lay out emergency legislation expected to include powers for police to detain people to stop them spreading the virus and allowing hospitals to send patients home to free up beds.
- Education Secretary Gavin Williamson announces suspension of Ofsted inspections.
- All non-essential access to the Houses of Parliament has been stopped and MPs and peers over the age of 70 or with underlying health problems have been urged to heed Government advice
- The Queen’s garden parties at Buckingham Palace have been cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak.
- UEFA has decided to postpone Euro 2020 until the summer of 2021.
- Church of England and Muslim Council of Britain suspend all public acts of worship.
- The Prime Minister held a conference call with manufacturing firms and organisations urging them to step up production of ventilators and other vital medical equipment
- The National Association of Funeral Directors is meeting the Cabinet Office on Tuesday to discuss how its members "can cope with extra number of deaths resulting from people being infected with Covid-19".
- A World Health Organisation special envoy on the coronavirus welcomed Boris Johnson's decision to advise greater social distancing to tackle the pandemic.
Follow the latest live updates from across the Midlands here:
National Express posts big loss after passenger numbers fall during pandemic – but bosses remain 'fundamentally positive'
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.