Advertising

Safety concerns at care company after choking death

By Richard Guttridge | Walsall | Health | Published:

Concerns have been raised about safety at a care company after a man died while choking.

The health watchdog said “some aspects of the service” at Inmind, a home care company based in Walsall, “were not always safe” and that there was “limited assurance about safety”.

The inspection was sparked by the death of a resident who was being cared for by the service, which led to concerns about the ability of staff to respond to people who were choking, according to a report by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

The circumstances around the death are still being investigated, the report said. Inmind said the man “passed away in the presence of one of our staff members and paramedics”.

Experts quizzed staff about procedures for dealing with residents in emergency situations.

They said “staff did not have all the information they needed to help manage people’s risks safely”.

The watchdog said action had now been taken around choking.

Inmind is based at The Rock Centre on Lichfield Street.

Advertising

It was given the second-lowest rating of requires improvement across all areas following the inspection.

An Inmind spokeswoman said: “The safety and well-being of our service-users is our paramount concern. Our condolences are with his family.

"We are disappointed with the rating, which was previously ‘good’, but we have immediately addressed areas requiring improvement.”

Richard Guttridge

By Richard Guttridge
Investigations Editor - @RichG_star

Investigations Editor for the Express & Star.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News