Jailed: Driver caught hiding in bin after ramming police car with stolen Audi

A driver who was caught hiding in a bin after ramming a police car with a stolen vehicle then running off has been jailed for eight months.

Damage to the stolen Audi Q3 and the police car
Damage to the stolen Audi Q3 and the police car

Liam Edmunds, 23, was driving a stolen Audi when the police helicopter spotted it on March 14 this year.

Pursuing officers tried to box the car in after Edmunds reversed it onto a driveway in Rowley Regis, but he rammed the car and fled on foot.

Prosecutor Mr Philip Brunt said: "It was on the 14th at 1.30pm the police became aware that the vehicle was out on the streets.

"It was being shadowed by the police helicopter and the police officers stayed some distance away monitoring its movements.

"They became aware that the vehicle had reversed onto a driveway in Rowley Regis so police went to the location to box in the vehicle.

"As they got to the address and they were pulling the vehicle up towards the Audi he drove his vehicle forward in collision with the police car.

"PC Darby got out of the vehicle but became aware it was driven again into the police car.

"There were two occupants in the vehicle, PC Darby followed the other young man, his colleague followed this defendant who made a significant effort to get away from the police, eventually being located hiding within a bin in a residential premises some distance away having made his way over fences.

"He was recognised as the driver and apprehended."

Edmunds reversed onto a driveway before trying to ram the police car

Edmunds, of the Mews, Smethwick, answered no comment at the police station but pleaded guilty to criminal damage, driving without a licence and aggravated vehicle taking at the magistrates court the next day.

Mr Mukhtiar Ubhi, defending Edmunds, said: "They were just out joyriding, it's entirely unfortunate that when the police arrived he didn't just park up and leave.

"He tells me he lurched forward in his panic once, he then put it in gear and again it lurched forward as he isn't used to the car.

"The second time round it was due to his inability and inexperience of driving that car.

"He was advised to go no comment at the police station but when he was at the magistrates court he put his hands up and said yes it was me, I did it and I am sorry for it.

"We have a young man who has taken responsibility and not wasted the court's time.

"He was been in custody for two-and-a-half months from the time of the offence. It's the first time he has been in custody in an adult prison and that's been an extremely sobering experience."

Recorder Patrick Upward QC handed Edmunds two months in custody for criminal damage and eight months for the aggravated vehicle taking, to run concurrently. Edmunds was also disqualified from driving for 16 months.

Mr Upward said: "For three years you've been doing well, and this piece of nonsense has got you back into trouble again.

"Mr Edmunds, learn from this, don't muck it up again, any more sentences will just get longer and longer."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News