Paramedic stabbed on 999 call in Wolverhampton returns to work

A paramedic stabbed while responding to a 999 call in Wolverhampton has returned to work for the first time since the attack in July.

Paramedic Deena on her first shift back after being stabbed in Wolverhampton
Paramedic Deena on her first shift back after being stabbed in Wolverhampton

The West Midlands Ambulance Service paramedics attended the house along with a police officer to carry out a welfare check.

They were both taken to Birmingham's Queen Elizabeth Hospital where Mr Hipgrave was released that night, and Ms Evans was discharged two days later.

Mr Hipgrave suffered injuries to his back and Ms Evans suffered a knife wound to the chest, West Midlands Ambulance Service said.

See also:

Yesterday was Deena's first shift back on the job

West Midlands Ambulance Service tweeted on Thursday saying: "We spy a familiar face.

"You may remember paramedic Deena, who was stabbed whilst attending a patient with her crew mate Mick in Wolverhampton back in the summer.

Michael Hipgrave and Deena Evans

"Today was her first day back on the road since the incident, she had crew mate Charlie looking after her."

Deena said: "My recovery is going well! I’m still receiving physio and counselling but it’s helping. I still have numbness in my arm but it so far hasn’t affected my job. My first day I was really nervous, I felt sick and felt like I couldn’t breathe but all the staff at Willenhall helped me, and my crew mate always makes me laugh so it was a good shift.

"The public support has been phenomenal, it really has been overwhelming. It certainly brings back faith in humanity, and I’m glad to be back doing my job!"

Mr Hipgrave has also returned to work.

Martyn Smith has since been charged with two counts of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and is due to stand trial in May next year.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News