Autistic schoolboy put in hospital for six days after park attack

An autistic schoolboy was left needing 20 pieces of metal in his leg and shoulder after having his bones broken in an attack.

Kai Davis, 15, was in hospital for six days after allegedly being thrown to the floor and stamped on
Kai Davis, 15, was in hospital for six days after allegedly being thrown to the floor and stamped on

An appeal for information by victim Kai Davis's father has since been shared by more than 300 people wanting to bring the 15-year-old's attacker to justice.

Marc Davis said his son was at the park off Laburnum Avenue in Cannock with friends when another teenager approached and started calling him names before throwing him to the floor, breaking his collarbone.

The attacker then stamped on Kai's leg twice, breaking his tibia and fibular, in the incident on September 8, according to Mr Davis.

Hednesford Valley High School student Kai was taken to hospital where he stayed for six days and had to have more than 20 pieces of metal put in his leg and collarbone.

Kai broke his tibia and fibular in the attack

He is now back at home in Hednesford with a special bed in the house on the ground floor as he cannot climb the stairs.

Staffordshire Police said they had "spoken to" another teenager and that their investigation is ongoing.

Mr Davis said: "It's really knocked us about as a family.

"He met up with his friends in Cannock and then we had a call about 5.30pm from Kai's phone but it was his friend saying Kai had been hurt.

"We got there and saw a group of people surrounding him and his foot was hanging off his leg.

"We asked the group straight away what happened and were told it was play fighting.

"The paramedic said in 28 years he'd not seen a break that bad.

"Then at 11pm two days later we had a phone call to say one of the boy's parents had been on the phone and said what had really happened.

"He said a guy came into the park calling Kai names and Kai said 'stop it' then he threw him to the floor and stamped on his leg breaking his tibia and fibular.

"The thought of him lying there and going through that really upsets me. It's quite gut-wrenching to think someone could do that."

Since sharing his appeal on Facebook, Mr Davis has had hundreds of messages in support, including a woman saying she wanted to collect 'get well soon' cards for Kai.

Kai in hospital after the attack

"There's been so many well-wishers since I posted about it online," he added.

"I can't thank them enough, but I'm just drifting from day to day.

"It's awful what has happened."

Murray McGregor, spokesman for West Midlands Ambulance Service, said: "At 5.50pm on September 8 we were called to the playing fields off Laburnum Close, to reports of a teenage boy who had been injured in a play fight.

"We sent a first responder and an ambulance and the teenager was taken to Walsall Manor Hospital after receiving treatment at the scene."

A Staffordshire Police spokesman said: "Officers were called to a report of an altercation involving teenagers on a play field near St John’s Close in Cannock on 8 September.

"A 15-year-old boy suffered serious injuries and was taken to hospital.

"Another teenager has been spoken to as part of the investigation which is ongoing.

"Anyone with information can call 101 quoting incident number 166 of 12 September."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News