Richard Cheshire inquest suspended as police probe into crash continues
An inquest into the death of a pedestrian who was hit by a car in West Bromwich has been adjourned while the police investigation continues.
Richard James Cheshire, 37, was pronounced dead at the scene in Trinity Way, where he was hit by a silver Renault Clio on August 3.
Nayyib Mohammed, of Marshall Street in Smethwick, has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving.
The 24-year-old is also charged with driving whilst disqualified and driving without insurance.
He appeared at Walsall Magistrates' Court on August 5, where he was remanded in custody until his next court appearance at Wolverhampton Crown Court on September 2.
Assistant coroner Laura Nash opened the inquest into Mr Cheshire's death yesterday and suspended it while the police investigation continues.
Coroner's officer Stephen Binsley said: "At 1.35pm on August 3 a road traffic collision occurred on Trinity Way.
"The driver of the vehicle Nayyib Mohammed has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving, driving whilst disqualified and driving without insurance.
"There is currently an ongoing police investigation related to this matter.
"A post mortem has been carried out, the cause of death was found to be fatal injuries caused by a road traffic collision.
"Police have requested toxicology and we're currently waiting for the information from the toxicologist."
Ms Nash said Mr Cheshire's body cannot yet be released to his family as the toxicology results have not been received.
Mr Cheshire's family said in a statement last week: "We lost our son, brother, dad, grandad, cousin, uncle and friend to many, way too soon.
"We will never get over this heartache.
"You were taken so cruelly, our hearts are broken.
"Please, please, if anyone has any information it will be appreciated no matter how big or small."
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.