Advertising

£10,000 reward leads to just one tip for police investigating Walsall house party murder

By Jordan Reynolds | Walsall | Crime | Published:

The offer of a £10,000 reward has only led to one tip being received by police investigating a teenager's murder, an inquest heard.

Rezwan Ali was aged 19 when he was stabbed to death

Mohammed Rezwan Ali, aged 19, died after being stabbed when a fight broke out at a house in Walsall in January 2018.

More than a year on no-one has been charged in connection with his death despite six arrests and a £10,000 reward being offered.

The reward was put forward by Crimestoppers last month but has so far only led to one person coming forward with intelligence, the inquest heard yesterday.

Nonetheless police are looking to take the case to the Crown Prosecution Service at the end of next month, Black Country Coroner's Court was told.

The scene of the alleged murder in Willows Road, Walsall

DI Nick Barnes said: "On April 4 a request was made to Crimestoppers which was approved a week later.

"On May 17 a suspect was interviewed under caution for perverting the course of justice.

"On May 23 a Crimestoppers release was made, with a £10,000 reward offered but only one intelligence log was received.

Advertising

"On June 13 a suspect was interviewed under caution and at 1pm today a further suspect interview will take place.

"We need to get the results of the forensics, it's estimated to take three to four weeks.

"A case summary has been commenced by the detective sergeant.

"We're looking to take that to the CPS at the end of July."

Advertising

Police were called to a disturbance in Willows Road, Chuckery, at around 1.45am on January 14, 2018, and discovered the student in the kitchen, bleeding from a knife wound to his chest.

Friends had tried to save him by performing emergency resuscitation without success.

Six people were arrested on suspicion of murder but later released.

In March another hearing was told West Midlands Police has a small team of experienced officers who are now solely dedicated into investigating Mr Ali’s death and were set to speak to 100 witnesses.

Coroner Zafar Siddique has now adjourned the inquest until October 7.

He said: "We want this to progress as soon as possible but it's out of my control."

Jordan Reynolds

By Jordan Reynolds
Reporter - @jreynolds_star

Senior reporter at the Express & Star.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News