Man locked up over baseball bat and machete chaos at Tipton petrol station

By Thomas Parkes | Tipton | Crime | Published: | Last Updated:

A man has been jailed for nearly eight years after an attack on a man outside a Black Country petrol station.

Armed police at the petrol station in Dudley Port where Mohammed Waqa, left, was part of a gang attack

Mohammed Waqas was part of a gang armed with baseball bats and a machete who chased and attacked three friends as they tried to escape across a forecourt in Dudley Port last May.

A 31-year-old man was beaten and left with a knife injury after the attack outside the Texaco petrol station and Morrisons supermarket on May 23, with his injuries requiring surgery.

Police cordoned off the A461 Dudley Port in the aftermath of the attack. Photo: @KennettPhoto

CCTV footage of the attack showed Waqas leaning on a car to steady himself, which helped identify him after a CCTV appeal from West Midlands Police.

A fingerprint match linked Waqas, from College Road in Birmingham, with the attack.

The drama started when a car attempted to mow the man down on Park Lane East at around 7.50pm.

The targeted man managed to jump into a passing Vauxhall Corsa but couldn't escape the chasing car which followed him to the petrol station forecourt on the A461 in Dudley Port.


Armed police were called as the chasing group got out of their car and attacked the Corsa with baseball bats and other weapons just metres away from the Morrisons convenience store and Subway shop.

The damage caused to the Corsa. Picture: @KennettPhoto
The damage caused to the car windscreen. Picture: @KennettPhoto

In the resulting melee, the victim was stabbed in the leg and left needing hospital treatment.


In the aftermath the A461 Dudley Port was sealed off and police later appealed with images showing four men brandishing weapons.

A spokesman for West Midlands Police said: "The motive was never properly established.

"No other suspects were charged due to insufficient evidence."

Waqas, aged 27, was jailed at Wolverhampton Crown Court on January 9 for seven years and 10 months, after pleading guilty to causing grievous bodily harm with intent, breaching an anti-social behaviour order and driving without a licence or insurance.

The car cordoned off on the petrol station forecourt. Picture: @KennettPhoto
Thomas Parkes

By Thomas Parkes
Trainee Reporter - @TParkes_Star

Trainee reporter at the Express & Star, based in Wolverhampton. Got a story? Get in touch at

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News