All three suspects in Wolverhampton murder released

By Megan Archer | Wolverhampton | Crime | Published: | Last Updated:

Two of the men arrested in connection with a fatal stabbing in Wolverhampton have been released from custody on strict bail conditions.

A fire-damaged Land Rover Freelander at the scene of the fatal stabbing in Raven Crescent. Picture: Martyn John Wulfran/@thewulfran

A third man was also released, but police have confirmed no further action will be taken against him.

A murder investigation was launched when a man, aged in his 30s, was stabbed to death in the city.

He was found dead in Raven Crescent, Ashmore Park after police were called to reports of a 'disturbance' at 5.15am on Friday.

Neighbours reported hearing 'loud pops and bangs' they thought were gunshots.

Detectives discovered a Land Rover Freelander that was on fire nearby, causing the popping noises, which they believe could be linked.

Three men were arrested on suspicion of murder, but all have since been released. One will face no further action, but the other two face 'strict bail conditions' officers have said.

Raven Crescent was almost completely cordoned off on Friday, blocking access to cars.

The cordon has been reduced slightly today, allowing access to traffic but still restricting access to certain properties.


Superintendent Matt Markham, from West Midlands Police Force CID, said on the day of the attack: “This murder investigation is at a really early stage and we are still trying to build a picture of exactly what happened.

“We still want to hear from people who were in the area at the time.

“We know a number of people heard what they thought were gunshots in the area, but we now believe that this may be down to the car that was on fire at the scene.”

Another fatal stabbing took place in Brierley Hill, Dudley during the early hours of yesterday morning.

A man, aged in his 20s, died in a car park in Engine Lane at about 1am.

Three men have since been arrested. Two were released this morning with no further action while one, a 25-year-old man, remains in police custody for questioning.

Megan Archer

By Megan Archer
Deputy Chief Reporter - @MeganA_Star

Deputy Chief Reporter with the Express & Star. Give me a call on 01902 319363 or email


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News