Teen admits stabbing James Brindley but denies murder

By Annabal Bagdi | Aldridge | Crime | Published:

A teenager has admitted stabbing a ‘popular’ young man in the heart but claimed it was self-defence.

Dozens of flowers were left in Aldridge when James Brindley died

James Brindley was fatally stabbed in a ‘chance encounter’ with his killers as he walked to his Aldridge home after meeting friends at a pub, a court heard.

Prosecutors allege he was wounded 35 seconds after coming across Aaron Kahrod, aged 21, of Walsall Road, Aldridge, and a 17-year-old boy near The Croft park.

Opening the case at Birmingham Crown Court, yesterday, prosecutor Mr Jonas Hankin QC alleged the teenager – who cannot be named for legal reasons – brandished a knife before delivering the fatal blow.

He said: “The prosecution’s case is that the defendants were the aggressors and that Mr Brindley did no more than what was reasonable to protect himself.

Mr Brindley was 26 when he died last June

“Mr Brindley posed no threat to these defendants. Aaron Kahrod is jointly responsible for Mr Brindley’s death. The defendants acted together and were of the same mind.”

Mr Brindley left work at Aldridge’s Colossus Gym before walking home and then meeting friends at the town’s The Avion pub before 11pm on June 23 last year.

He drank a glass of water before going outside to speak with his girlfriend Lauren Wong on the phone, Mr Hankin said.


The 26-year-old then decided to go home, walking along High Street and Rookery Lane towards his parents’ house in Little Aston Road.

More tributes to Mr Brindley

The court heard Mr Brindley’s 15-minute call ended as he reached a bus stop outside The Croft at about 11.42pm.

Mr Hankin said: “Thirty-five seconds later, Mr Brindley had been fatally stabbed.”


Prosecutors say the fatal blow was delivered before Ms Wong called him again 35 seconds after their earlier call ended.

During their final call, which lasted 14 seconds, Mr Brindley said: “I have just been stabbed, two secs, I’m calling an ambulance.”

He ran 100 metres towards wallpaper company Glitters, in Little Aston Road, before collapsing on the pavement.

Mr Hankin told jurors: “These are his last words. This chronology tells us that the violence that led to Mr Brindley’s death must have happened within a few seconds with his encounter with the defendants.”

Both defendants deny murder.

The trial continues.

Annabal Bagdi

By Annabal Bagdi

Senior reporter based at head office in Wolverhampton.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News