Advertising

West Bromwich McDonald’s knife attacker locked up

By John Scott | West Bromwich | Crime | Published: | Last Updated:

A 'cocky' look from a youth at a McDonald's restaurant almost cost him his life, a judge was told.

Wolverhampton Crown Court

It triggered appalling violence during which he was repeatedly stabbed with a Zombie knife by a 16-year-old youth in front of 'countless' families doing their lunch time shopping, Wolverhampton Crown Court heard.

The attacker did not like the way he was stared at as the pair - members of different groups - locked eyes at McDonald's in West Bromwich High Street.

Words were exchanged before he stood up, took his coat off and swung a punch at the 17-year-old - and missed.

This made him look foolish in front of his friends and so he grabbed hold of a chair before restaurant staff managed to defuse the situation that flared up on in broad daylight on October 19 last year.

The 16-year-old, now 17, was ushered outside but was waiting when the other youth, who had not followed him, finally emerged. This time he was armed with the large Zombie knife given to him by another member of his group who was carrying it in a bag.

"There was a determined assault with him seen lunging at the complainant a number of times even though the incident lasted no more than 30 seconds," said Mr William Dudley, prosecuting, who continued: "He had deliberately armed himself to continue the argument that had started earlier."

The attacker, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was overheard to say during the stabbing: 'Nobody f***** with me,' it was said.

The victim was struck at least twice with one wound to the back of his left thigh cutting the hamstring, causing a loss of flexibility in the knee that needed surgery to correct. He declined to discuss the injury with police.

Advertising

The attacker later admitted he had taken against the other teenager because he 'looked cocky' and had felt foolish after missing with a punch in front of his friends.

He had been involved in the group robbery of an individual at the same McDonald's branch during which a mobile phone and jewellery were stolen.

The attacker was arrested and released pending further inquiries and, whilst awaiting trial, attacked a girl in another branch of McDonald's on February 3.

Mr Simon Hanns, representing him, said the defendant had since moved away from his 'old ways' and had 'grown up.' His family now lives in Worcestershire.

Advertising

He was convicted of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and received four and a half years detention in a Young Offenders Institution.

Judge James Burbidge QC, who told him: "You said you could not ignore what he had done to you when he had done precious little. You now realise you could have killed him."

John Scott

By John Scott
Reporter/News Feature Writer

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News