Community in shock after Ming Moon 'slavery' raids
The discovery of 'modern slaves' at a popular Chinese restaurant has left a community in shock - with a man and woman who were arrested now released on bail.
Five men suspected to have been working as slaves were taken away from Wolverhampton’s Ming Moon restaurant following raids on Tuesday morning.
As part of the blitz - called Operation Robotic - West Midlands Police also carried out raids in West Bromwich and Coventry.
A 49-year-old man and woman, aged 45, both Slovakian, were arrested on suspicion of slavery offences by providing staff through a recruitment consultancy.
WATCH footage from the raid:
Yesterday police confirmed they had not yet been charged and had been released on bail.
Emma Reynolds MP, who represents Wolverhampton North East, described modern slavery as "horrific" and "one of the worst crimes against another human."
She said: "It is shocking that these people were found here in Wolverhampton.
"It is one of the worst crimes where human rights are absolutely exploited.
"I am very pleased the police raided the restaurant and I hope that anyone responsible for carrying out a crime will be brought to justice."
Councillor Ian Claymore, who represents Oxley where the restaurant is located, said everyone in the area was shocked by the news.
He added: "To have this situation in 2017 and to know it could be happening here in Wolverhampton has just totally shocked people.
"Any action the authorities can take should be fully implemented as soon as possible to stop this."
The restaurant in Stafford Road, was previously known as the Three Tuns pub until 2006, prior to opening as Wing Wah.
It became Ming Moon in November 2014 after closing briefly for refurbishment.
No-one from Ming Moon was available for comment yesterday but the restaurant was expected to be open for business as usual today.