It has left tenants at the Wolverhampton Homes block – mainly elderly – feeling afraid in their own homes. Howard Warner has been left with a black eye and bruising after the assault.
One of his neighbours, Margaret Reynolds, aged 72, came to his aid and was also allegedly attacked.
Both were taken to New Cross Hospital and have now returned to the flats where tenants have been left shaken by the incident.
Mr Warner, who was the publican at Heath Town’s former Duke of York pub, said he had been on his way to make a coffee for a friend in the block when he was attacked.
He said: “The poor woman downstairs [Mrs Reynolds] is now frightened to go out. It doesn’t bother me so much but this could have been my neighbour. They are just frail little women.
“They are all dead scared of coming out of their flats now. One told me they needed to go down to the laundry to do their washing but that they were too frightened. You don’t know who will be hanging about.”
The tower block, managed by Wolverhampton Homes, has a secure entry but Mr Warner said non-residents were able to get in. The attack took place last Friday, July 14, at 6.30pm. Mrs Reynolds said: “I want out of here now.”
Shaun Aldis, director of operations at Wolverhampton Homes said: “We are horrified but want to reassure tenants that their safety is very important to us.
"Our concierge team are on hand 24/7 to monitor security through the use of CCTV, security door entry systems and patrols, and we are already in the process of installing additional cameras. If tenants have any concerns, they should contact us.”
A man has been charged with attempting to cause grievous bodily harm and obstructing a police constable. He is due in court next month.