Ryan Shenton: Reveller plummeted to death in Cannock nightclub fall
A reveller plummeted to his death from a nightclub as he scrambled – or fell – over a barrier while ‘intoxicated’, an inquest heard.
Ryan Shenton, aged 25, died after sustaining a head injury when he plunged to the ground at the back of the 40ft high Quartz nightclub in Cannock after leaving alone.
His body was discovered hours later by staff from a nearby bank as they prepared to open the branch, Cannock Coroner’s Court was told.
Coroner Andrew Haigh recorded a conclusion of accidental death on Tuesday, and said: “Staff arriving to work at Barclays bank made the most unpleasant discovery of Ryan’s body on the ground.
“Ryan was a popular young man and had a lot of positives in his life. It appears, in an intoxicated condition, Ryan has gone over the barrier. Whether he climbed or fell we cannot say.”
Mr Shenton had been out with friends when he left the Church Street nightclub through a back door at about 2.30am on August 19 last year.
Detective Sergeant Ian Press, of Lichfield CID, told Cannock Coroner’s Court officers believe Mr Shenton then tried to climb a barrier before falling to the ground.
He added: “It was a common access point to the club. People would enter the club on the ground floor and leave at the ramp where Ryan left by.”
The electrician’s body was discovered by staff from a nearby Barclays bank as they prepared to open the branch six hours later.
A toxicology report revealed Mr Shenton, of Green Lane, Leamore, was more than three times over the drink-drive limit.
He had 263mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood - the legal limit is 80mg - and had also consumed cocaine.
An investigation into his death has since been brought by Cannock Chase District Council.
A council spokesperson confirmed the club shut last December, adding: “The council’s role in this matter is to establish whether or not any offences under health and safety legislation may have been committed by either the club’s owners, or any party associated with the building, such as managing agents or landlords.
“The police handed the investigation over to the council late in November 2017 and the council’s enquiries are ongoing. It would not be appropriate to comment further at this time.”
“Any steps to prevent future incidents of this nature would have to be determined by the new business owner and would depend on the future use to which the building was put.”
Following his death, Mr Shenton’s family paid tribute to their son, saying: “As parents we are extremely devastated and shocked at the tragic loss of our son Ryan. He was a hardworking, successful electrician, who did everything possible for those he loved.”